CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Is it worth buying frozen online?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
turn
Is it worth buying frozen online?

So i'm new to snakes and was wondering if it's worth buying frozen pinkies in bulk (50-100) for one snake? Or will they just go bad and get freezer burn? The only place to buy frozen near me is Petsmart and that's around 10 to 12 dollars for 6 pinkies. But I dont want to buy a bunch of pinkies and have them go to waste or be too small of a feed by the end. My snake only weighs 12 grams so according to the munson plan she should only be eating 1 pinky every 4-5 days, however, the person who had her before fed her 2 pinkies once a week, not sure what plan to follow. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Shiari
What I would do is see if there are other people local to you willing to go into an order together. That way you can save on shipping and not get too many mice at one time.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
Dragonling
Some mouse suppliers sell small packs. Perfect Prey has been my go-to lately, and they offer smaller bundles. Might make it easier to get someone to go in with you on shipping.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #4
MysticExotics
Before I started ordering from a local supplier, I was ordering from Layne Labs.
You can order as few as 10 mice at a time from them.

They also sell rabbits, quail, chicks and guinea pigs.

I learned about them through a friend. They provide feeders for zoos, wildlife rehabilitators, universities, and pet industry.
Their quality has always been great, and if they made a mistake on the order (didn't happen often) they more than made up for it for me.

I can get orders on a quicker turn around than any online order, so that is why I started going with the local supplier.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Twolunger
I too switched over to Perfect Prey as my supplier. They raise all the prey items themselves, and they do sell smaller packages. My freezer space is limited, so that's a big help.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Before I started ordering from a local supplier, I was ordering from Layne Labs.
You can order as few as 10 mice at a time from them.
I also had excellent experiences with Layne Labs. I only switched because I am closer to the east coast and shipping was very expensive. If you're closer to California, they are one of the best in the business.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
turn
I found professional reptiles and they have 50 pinkie mice for 12.50!! Although they're out of stock right now. He said they should be back in stock within a week or two. Is 50 too much?

Old 12-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I also had excellent experiences with Layne Labs. I only switched because I am closer to the east coast and shipping was very expensive. If you're closer to California, they are one of the best in the business.
Location definitely makes a difference when it comes to shipping costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn View Post
I found professional reptiles and they have 50 pinkie mice for 12.50!! Although they're out of stock right now. He said they should be back in stock within a week or two. Is 50 too much?
No, you should be fine. Depending on how fast your snake grows, when they reach a little bigger size, (for mine, I do it around 16-18 grams) you can offer two pinkies per feeding.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
ckkevin
I started using big cheese rodent factory. They vacuum seal everything and have $29.00 shipping.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google