• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Carnivorous plants....

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
Took some pics of the initial carnivorous plants we have. They are still in their original pots, as the tub we set up still needs more rain water to fill it before it will be ready to transplant the plants into it. Getting rain today, so maybe that will be enough. Otherwise will have to dip into the distilled water supply we have.

pitcher_plant_01.jpg

pitcher_plant_02.jpg

pitcher_plant_03.jpg

pitcher_plant_04.jpg

pitcher_plant_05.jpg

sundew_frazier_island_01.jpg

sundew_frazier_island_02.jpg

vft_generic_01.jpg

vft_generic_02.jpg

The flytrap has been inside for a few months, and really needs to be outside in the sunlight. Just got the sundew a few days ago in the mail, and picked up the pitcher plant from a local nursery yesterday. Got them all just sitting on the porch right now to acclimate them to stronger light before putting them into direct FULL sun.

Got more on order, as I'm getting a variety of samples to play with.

I sure do hope that they find mosquitoes to be tasty. :)

Thats so cool :) I love pitcher plants, very fascinating! I had a Venus Fly Trap once, but my little sister suffocated it while I was away on holidays :(

Just got in a few more plants to play with. Got an assortment of 7 flytraps, but only 2 sundews. Wish I had gotten a few more sundews, especially the thread types. Oh well, I'll see how these all do for me and go from there.

vft_10.jpg

vft_11.jpg

vft_12.jpg

vft_13.jpg

sundew_10.jpg

sundew_11.jpg

sundew_12.jpg

sundew_13.jpg

Nice collection Rich. I am hoping to add some pitchers and sundews to my collection soon. I plan on building a nice sized bog outside in the near future. The issue will then be getting the necessary distilled water, since rain is rather difficult to come by out here in the desert, and the water from our well is high in sulfur, salts and other solutes.

rich i have several excess dews if you're interested

Seriously? Yeah, I think I'm doing better with the sundews than I am with the flytraps. The flytraps don't seem to actually be taking the full sun as well as I was led to believe. I put the new ones out to catch full morning sun and be shaded in the afternoon, but the morning sun burned some of them pretty badly. I've got pics, but haven't gotten them sized to post yet.

The sundews out in my mini-bog seem to be doing just fine in full sun nearly all day long. One of them is getting a lot of red color to it and flowering. I haven't put the two newer ones out there as I was afraid they might get damaged by the sun.

I've got the flytraps sitting on the porch to catch some brief dappled sun in the morning, hoping they will bounce back. Maybe they just need to be better acclimated before tossing them into full sun.

Anyway, yeah, if you have any you wouldn't mind parting with, just let me know what you want for them. Thanks!

Nice collection Rich. I am hoping to add some pitchers and sundews to my collection soon. I plan on building a nice sized bog outside in the near future. The issue will then be getting the necessary distilled water, since rain is rather difficult to come by out here in the desert, and the water from our well is high in sulfur, salts and other solutes.

We have a small water distiller that we are using, but lately rain hasn't been a problem. This is normally the dry season around here, but we're getting rain every day. I've got another tub sitting out just to catch rain water so we can store it in bottles. I want to set up a second mini-bog, but want to see how the first one does before setting up a second one. I sure as heck don't want to kill the plants trying to figure out how to work with them.

Here's pics of the two original flytraps that are out in the mini-bog exposed to full sun most of the day.

vft_burnt_01.jpg

vft_burnt_02.jpg

I'm leaving them there so I can see what happens. Maybe they'll bounce back and the new growth will be better able to withstand the sunlight.

Here's a pic of the mini-bog Connie and I set up. Nothing fancy, to be sure.

mini_bog_01.jpg

The two sundews there look like they are doing just fine, I guess..

sundew_outside_01.jpg

sundew_outside_02.jpg

Of the newer flytraps that got burned from that half day of full sun, these look the worse for wear.

vft_burnt_03.jpg

vft_burnt_04.jpg

Of course the largest of the bunch was one that got really zapped by the sunlight. But hopefully they will bounce back for me.

Well, I went and put a piece of fairly wide meshed burlap over top of the plants in my mini-bog to try to filter the sunlight a bit. I may move a couple of the others into the bogette to see how they fare there. Got the newer ones on the porch to just catch a bit of morning sunlight, but they still look pretty puny from their short stint in FULL sun.

Well, I'm not real crazy about this perlite stuff I'm using with the insectivorous plants in my mini-bog. We got a good amount of rain yesterday, and apparently my drain holes aren't doing the job and the water level got up higher than I had hoped for in the tub. And that darn perlite junk apparently floats to the surface.

So all that while crap got stuck all in the sundew traps and made a heck of a mess of them. Also got some into a few of the venus fly traps. I used a water bottle to try to spray the perlite off of the plants, but only was partially successful. Two of the fly traps shut on the perlite when the water spray evidently triggered them.

Guess I need to change something in the way I am doing this. This evidently isn't working out as well as I had hoped.

perlite_mess_01.jpg

perlite_mess_02.jpg

perlite_mess_03.jpg

perlite_mess_04.jpg

perlite_mess_05.jpg

The venus fly traps and sundews I bought a while back seem to be doing real well in the mini bogs we set up, so I decided to buy a few more.

These potted venus fly traps are right colorful, pretty nice sized, and look in excellent shape.

vft_40.jpg

vft_41.jpg

vft_42.jpg

vft_43.jpg

vft_44.jpg

The sundews don't look to shabby neither.

sundew_40.jpg

sundew_41.jpg

sundew_42.jpg

I also bought some bare root fly traps that are smaller, but they should do OK in the little pots I set them up in.

vft_45.jpg

vft_46.jpg

I'm letting them all gradually get acclimated to the sunlight before putting them out in the mini bogs. Don't want to burn them like I did that first batch I got.

Well, the mini bogs appear to be coming back nicely this spring. I lost some things because I didn't have the drain holes deep enough to account for the amount of settling the soil would do. So I drilled a few more somewhat deeper, and the soil isn't as mushy as it was before. Also had some varmint root around in one of the bogs and scattered a bunch of the flytraps here and yonder. Perhaps he even ate some of them.

One of the mini bogs has sprouted a whole slew of little yellow flowers on string thin stalks.

yellow_flowers_04_2014_01.jpg

Anyway, I took a bunch of photos of the flytraps and sundews....

flytrap_04_2014_01.jpg

flytrap_04_2014_02.jpg

flytrap_04_2014_03.jpg

flytrap_04_2014_04.jpg

flytrap_04_2014_05.jpg

flytrap_04_2014_06.jpg

flytrap_04_2014_07.jpg

Back