CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

shy snake?

Old 04-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
rahrah12
shy snake?

I have had a cornsake for a few months, it was a yearling when i got it and it never seems to leave its hides, i have two set up on both sides of the tank and it is ALWAYS in one or the other. It rarely comes out ever, maybe only late at night. Could there possibly be something wrong with my snake or just its personality.

I followed instructions from this site for the set up of the tank and it just had a full shed so I figure everything is all right with the set up.

I also handle the snake usually once a day and it is fine, not snappy or anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Lennycorn
Sounds normal to me. Corns tend to be nocturnal so they are more active at night. So your's is OK.

Good luck

Old 04-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
ayasha
Sounds fine

Pretty but boring? Ha ha ha ha.

Keep in mind Corn snakes are nocturnal. Day time isn’t really their thing. It is probably more active than you think. Turn off the lights and hang for a night!

As long as the Viv is proper and the snakes health (weight, eating habits, sheds) is good. As longs as these factors are fine, you should have nothing to be concerned about.

Cover all the bases, get a diurnal snake (daytime dweller). I work at home (self employed web developer) so I am with my Herps all the time. My Black Pine is great for daytime Herp watching and my Corns at night. As much as I want to I tend to avoid disturbing my Corns much during the day (handling etc..). I don’t want to mess with their natural genetic clocks.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
BeckyG
This sounds perfectly normal to me. And like you said, he is most likely out and about at night.

Snakes DO have different personalities, though. Some are naturally more shy than others. I hardly ever see my male amel, except during breeding season, while my female snow is much more bold.

Your snake sounds healthy otherwise, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Tula_Montage
mine are the same. its very normal behaviour.
they have even taken to sitting in my red bag for hours when they are out of the viv. they are happy and im happy knowing the are close to me, either that or they sit in my pocket or down my t-shirt. i just take it as they like being close to me too

Old 04-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
rahrah12
Appreciate that everyone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google