• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Some Fledglings in AZ

hypnoctopus

Olivia Barron
My 8 year-old sister came running in the house one day telling me that there was a baby bird in our front yard. It was a fledgling sparrow and it was so darn cute. As we were holding him, we spotted yet ANOTHER fledgling across the street and this one was a mockingbird! And then, I kid you not, we actually found a third baby - another mockingbird. We held the babies for a little bit, and the mockingbird parents were getting very mad and flying straight at us and squawking, so we let them go.

Here's the little sparrow (after releasing him, I did eventually see at least one parent come down to him). He was pretty calm and relaxed:

IMG-0615.jpg

IMG-0618.jpg

Here's one of the mockingbirds - they were both very noisy:

IMG-0619.jpg

I tried to get some shots of the parents fake-attacking us, but they didn't turn out perfectly:

IMG-0624.jpg

IMG-0625.jpg

Apparently it was 'leave the nest' day. We put out some bird seed and bought some crickets which we released into the area for them.

Also, I found this neat beetle the other night. Does anyone know what it is?

IMG-0672.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look!

There is a baby mocking bird at our local rehab center where I volunteer! He is so cool!

Ahhh they are adorable! When I was little I always wondered if the parents got the little babies back in the nest somehow xD.

Ahhh they are adorable! When I was little I always wondered if the parents got the little babies back in the nest somehow xD.

I used to always think that too! When I was a kid, my family's cat brought a fledgling home, uninjured. I took it from him and mom bird just kept following me and squawking until I let it go in a safer area, but I was looking for the nest to put it back into!

Back