CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items Wanted Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, WANTED can be posted within this area.

Wanted: Young Prairie King Snake

Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Wylie
Wanted: Young Prairie King Snake

Not for me, but for a friend. I have a good friend who lives in MO who is a long time owner of numerous snakes and she is currently looking for a Prairie King Snake to raise. It would be cool if I could help her out. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Fenderplayer108
I would let your friend know that its illegal to buy/sell prairie kingsnakes in Missouri.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Wylie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderplayer108 View Post
I would let your friend know that its illegal to buy/sell prairie kingsnakes in Missouri.
Oh, okay, thanks. Out of curiosity, do you know what the reason is? Are they endangered?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Fenderplayer108
Nope, just Missouri has pretty strict laws about keeping native reptiles. I would imagine you could get away with having one, (I started with a wild-caught pair, several years ago). But I doubt anyone would sell your friend one.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Wylie
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
abell82
If she were to contact the Mo, DNR she could probably get a permit to keep and possibly breed Prairie Kings.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Wylie
Quote:
Originally Posted by abell82 View Post
If she were to contact the Mo, DNR she could probably get a permit to keep and possibly breed Prairie Kings.
Would that be Department of Natural Resources?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:04 AM   #8
abell82
Yes, actually, I guess that Missouri calls it the DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION. If your friend is lucky, it will only take one or two calls, and then the DOC will then send them a packet, which your friend will have to fill out, and send back in, and a few weeks later, they will receive a permit. Cost for the permit, will depend on the type of permit. This is how it worked for me, in Illinois, anyway. Relatively painless, once you find someone that knows what you are looking for, and what you need to do to obtain it.
They will need to receive and retain a receipt, showing purchase date, Price, and Vendor Name.

Here is a link, it should help. I believe that it will tell you, what you need to know. Be aware, that if your friend wants to keep one Prairie king, the rules, and permits are abit different, then if they want to keep a pair, and or breed Prairie Kings. If they want to breed Prairie kings, they will need a breeding Permit. (But the link should explain that.) Once they obtain the proper permits, they should have no trouble, obtaining a Prairie king from a reputable breeder.

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/cu...csr/3c10-9.pdf

Good Luck!!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
Wylie
Thank you very much! I will pass this info along to her!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #10
abell82
You're welcome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google