CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Some Fledglings in AZ

Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
hypnoctopus
Some Fledglings in AZ

My 8 year-old sister came running in the house one day telling me that there was a baby bird in our front yard. It was a fledgling sparrow and it was so darn cute. As we were holding him, we spotted yet ANOTHER fledgling across the street and this one was a mockingbird! And then, I kid you not, we actually found a third baby - another mockingbird. We held the babies for a little bit, and the mockingbird parents were getting very mad and flying straight at us and squawking, so we let them go.

Here's the little sparrow (after releasing him, I did eventually see at least one parent come down to him). He was pretty calm and relaxed:

Here's one of the mockingbirds - they were both very noisy:

I tried to get some shots of the parents fake-attacking us, but they didn't turn out perfectly:

Apparently it was 'leave the nest' day. We put out some bird seed and bought some crickets which we released into the area for them.

Also, I found this neat beetle the other night. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks for taking the time to look!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
ratsnakes
i know this thread is really old, but that is a kind of hister beetle

Old 07-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
Thanks for the info!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Nanci
Mockingbirds are my favorite bird.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
AliCat37
There is a baby mocking bird at our local rehab center where I volunteer! He is so cool!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
BSLMichael
Ahhh they are adorable! When I was little I always wondered if the parents got the little babies back in the nest somehow xD.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLMichael View Post
Ahhh they are adorable! When I was little I always wondered if the parents got the little babies back in the nest somehow xD.
I used to always think that too! When I was a kid, my family's cat brought a fledgling home, uninjured. I took it from him and mom bird just kept following me and squawking until I let it go in a safer area, but I was looking for the nest to put it back into!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google