• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Do I increase feeding size?

smale492

So I have been feeding my 1 year old (gonna be 2 in july) blizzard cornsnake hopper mice. He has been eating them with ease and it still leaves a pretty noticeable bulge along his body. It is not huge but you can still see where the mouse is for sure. I feed him one every week and he poops fine and has adequate water at all times. I was feeding him today and decided to weigh him before feeding since I got a new scale since I lost my old one... I weighed his feeding tub at 521 grams... added him and it said 666 grams (which is ironic because his name is hades).

Being 145 grams is a shocker to me but it makes sense with how readily he just chomps on the hopper mice even though it does take him a little bit to get down sometimes.

I read on a chart that I should be feeding weenlings at this point but I am not sure since he still seems to bulge out with the hoppers and still is rather slow sometimes eating one (not too terribly slow though)

I dont want to be under feeding him and tbh I am not sure if petco even sells weenlings... any advice would be great so I know what to try for his next feeding

I would attach a picture but litteraly every time I try to my stupid google chrome crashes... I hate my computer

I start pulling out the smallest weanlings I have for snakes hitting around 125-150g still on hoppers. It doesn't hurt to wait a little while longer before moving him up if you're having to buy small numbers of mice at a time. Check the weights on the package. Weaned mice should be somewhere around 14-18g and may be labeled as "small adult" or something similar.

I start pulling out the smallest weanlings I have for snakes hitting around 125-150g still on hoppers. It doesn't hurt to wait a little while longer before moving him up if you're having to buy small numbers of mice at a time. Check the weights on the package. Weaned mice should be somewhere around 14-18g and may be labeled as "small adult" or something similar.

Ok yeah he seems to be ok on hoppers right now and I dont want to give him something too big.. but for his weight I dont want to under feed him. Yeah I didnt see weenlings at petco or where I can get them but I will look the next time I go.

I don't know PetCo's supplier, but for PetSmart's Arctic Mice, hoppers are labeled as "small," weanlings "medium," and adults "large."

To jump on this thread. Mine is about 2 1/2 years old and has been eating the small mice about weekly. She's always been a bit runty: skinny but has grown in length in the 9 months I've had her. Maybe she's 3 feet long now, grown from about 2 ft?

Anyway about time to order some new frozen mice and I'd rather order in quanity of 50. Should I go for medium now or stick with small?

My snake was eating large mice (they weighed roughly 24 to 30 grams ea.) at 3 feet long.

A growing snake (one that is not yet adult, but still young and growing) can eat 10% to 13% of its body weight in food per feeding. I used 12% when Rufus was still growing as it's in the middle of 10 & 13.

Weigh the snake x 12% = food amount.

If your snake weighs 40 grams, you'd feed about 4 to 5 grams of mouse. If your snake weighs 150 grams you'd feed 18 gram mice....etc... up to the point they are eating about 30 gram mice which would be at about 250 grams. At that point you just continue feeding that size as your snake is pretty well grown and you don't want it to get fat.

Back