CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Genetics Tutorial

Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #31
sweet~nichole~marie
*smacks forehead* I am such a dork *LOL* I was misunderstanding what the phenotype was . . . I thought the recessive amel alleles said to ADD red, but they are actually REMOVE black.

a+/a amel = normal/remove black

a+a+ = normal, normal (wild-type)
a+a = normal, remove black but because a+ is dom, snake looks normal
aa = remove black, removes black so only red is left

same with anery (n+/n) only says to remove red

so,
n+naa = says normal (don't remove any red) but aa says to remove the black, so you end up with amel (aa) het anery (n+n)

Did I get it right?

Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to clarify the genetics to me.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #32
Smokey-Steve
[quote=Susan;858347]
The same thing would happen when any or all the recessive corn genes are used. For example:
aa - says don't make black - produces an amel
bb - says don't make red - produces an anery
hh - says reduce the amount of black - produces a ghost
cc - says to change alot of red to yellow - produces a caramel
dd - says to create the diffuse pattern - produces diffuse/bloodred
mm - says to create the motley pattern - produces a motley
ss - says to create the stripe pattern - produces a stripe
ll - says to create the lavender appearance - produces a lavender
Etc.
QUOTE]

Are these used by all breeders (Universal)

Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #33
Susan
[quote=Smokey-Steve;1080052]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
The same thing would happen when any or all the recessive corn genes are used. For example:
aa - says don't make black - produces an amel
bb - says don't make red - produces an anery
hh - says reduce the amount of black - produces a ghost
cc - says to change alot of red to yellow - produces a caramel
dd - says to create the diffuse pattern - produces diffuse/bloodred
mm - says to create the motley pattern - produces a motley
ss - says to create the stripe pattern - produces a stripe
ll - says to create the lavender appearance - produces a lavender
Etc.
QUOTE]

Are these used by all breeders (Universal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
And you can use whatever letter you want for these morphs as well as all the other recessive morphs.
You must have skipped over the very next line of my post. No, these are not "universal" letters. The Cornsnake Morph Guide uses the letters they like, another breeder uses letters that he or she likes, I happen to like those letters. Use whatever makes it easy for you...letter, number, symbol...

Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #34
Smokey-Steve
Ok thank you feel stupid for missing that part lol.

The Punnett Square looks like a good way to track what the possible outcome are.

I think i still need to have another couple of read throughs but im starting to understand this genetics business, would like to know it for when i start breeding

Old 03-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #35
paulh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey-Steve View Post
The Punnett Square looks like a good way to track what the possible outcome are.
Punnett squares are all right for problems using one or two gene pairs. Only masochists use a Punnett square for more than two gene pairs. A branching system is faster than a Punnett square, but the textbooks seldom discuss anything but Punnett squares.

I have a post about using a branching system about 3/4 of the way down the first page of this link:
http://iansvivarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2120

Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #36
BooBoo18
Learning about my snake

I have been reading what I can find online in reference to my corn snake. When I bought him I was told he is a Crimson corn snake. I had no idea what that meant but hey I like red snakes!! So from the small amount I have found he would be a Miami or Miami phase hypo. So now the questions begin....

From what I have read a Miami corn snake is a normal corn snake from a certain part of Florida. Unless it can be directly related back to a WC Miami it would need to be referred to as a Miami phase or Miami like. So what makes a Miami or Miami phase a Miami in looks?

Would the Hypo (is it Hypomelanistic?) reduce the amount of black?

Why is he called a Crimson, where did that come from?

When he is an adult what would be different about him compared to any other Miami or Miami phase?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me on understanding my snake better!!! I would love to explain to my friends why he is a Crimson!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #37
chris68
A Crimson (which is a trade name made up that "kind of" lol describes the look of a hypomelanstic Miami. You are correct in saying a Miami would be a corn from known Miami lines vs a Miami "phase", which looks like a Miami. Miami corns are generally silverish grey with deep red saddles. The hypo gene does reduce black.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #38
Susan
Some great examples of crimsons can be found here: Ian's Vivarium - Crimson which you can use to compare to some examples of Miami/Miami phase here: Ian's Vivarium - Miami.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #39
Rich Z
Well, actually I coined that name way back when I first started producing Hypomelanistic Miami Phase Corns. Oh yeah, I coined "Miami Phase" as well.... The reason for that name was because that particular stock came from the Miami area that I personally obtained back in the late '70s. I caught a few in the wild, and also bought a few from local mom and pop pet stores (there weren't any mega pet store chains back then) that local kids had brought in to them. I also had obtained a few individuals that had slate gray backgrounds with bright orange blotches, that came from the same area, but I don't have any idea what ever happened to that line. Haven't seen any like them for a LONG time.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #40
BooBoo18
What caught me was the contrast between the red saddles and the grey body color I love that. I checked Ian's and really like the adult Miamis and Crimsons so I am very sure I made the right choice. So Miami and Miami phase are the same?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google