CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Snake layed eggs!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Sydney
Snake layed eggs!

I have brought home a female corn snake for the summer. She has not eaten in about 2 weeks and now has laid three eggs. Can snakes lay eggs that aren’t fertile like a bird can? As far as my teacher and I know she has not been with a male snake. But he does have male snakes in the room. I am not sure what to do with the eggs. I have them in a plastic container with a heat lamp above it. The eggs are not looking all that great Can some one please help!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
fyrefairy
It is possible for snakes to lay infertile eggs, and sometimes they lay quite a few of them. If she hasn't been with a male snake at all, then those aren't fertile...they certainly don't look fertile...and I wouldn't spend too much efford on them. Instead, get her a snack and tell her what a good girl she is.

Of course, if there's a possibility they might be fertile, you can always put them in damp substrate (I use sphagnum moss, but lots of people like vermiculite) and keep their temperature between about 75 and 85 degrees farenheit. The forums are searchable, and I'm sure you can find more information by searching for egg laying or a similar topic.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
pcar
first off, are the eggs bright white and plump? or are they small and hard, with a brownish color to them?

If they are the second, then they are more than likely slugs (unfertilized eggs). Most of the time female snakes reabsorb the unfertilized eggs, but sometimes they lay them.

From your picture it looks like they are slugs.

If they were white when they were laid, then you need to get them into some damp Spagnam moss or damp vermiculite. and heat the container to a temperature of 80 to 85 degrees.

For more info on this, use the search function at the top of the forums and look for Egg care, eggs, etc.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Sydney
I think they are slugs. The eggs are hard and brownish. One of the eggs was very soft when I found it but now it is just as hard as the others. Thanks so much!

Old 07-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Sydney
I went to check on her today and I found like 10 more eggs! She is coiled around them all at the moment. Is this ok? Should I leave the eggs in with her?

Old 07-05-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
fyrefairy
I would do a search for threads on incubating eggs. Use the terms incubate, eggs, clutch, etc. What is the climate where you are? If it's fairly warm, you can just put them in a plastic shoebox with a couple of holes in it with some damp moss or vermiculite and cover it to hold moisture in. If it's cooler than about 80 degrees or you're running central air, you'll need some kind of supplemental heat. You can buy an incubator, but I know some people rig up their own or put eggs on top of the fridge. (I don't know how well that works, but I imagine the temperature is pretty constant if it's in the right range.) Good luck with them, and be sure not to turn them over. (Keep them in the same position as now as far as top goes. You might want to mark the top of the clump or eggs with a pencil, not a pen, to remind you.)

Old 07-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
Sydney
I was pretty sure the eggs where slugs but would she coil around them if they weren’t and would she lay so much? We have central air in our house.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
fyrefairy
I don't know if she'd differentiate between good eggs and slugs when she coiled up. One of the pros might be able to help you better with that. Can you get a picture of the new eggs and post it? If they're slugs, there's no need to incubate them. If they're healthy, though, you'll want some way to keep their temp between about 80 and 90 degrees.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Sydney

Here she is. Sorry the pic is so bad. It was really dark so I tried to lighten it up. She was bred a year ago and had a successful clutch. I heard females could keep the sperm for up to a year is this true?

Old 07-05-2005, 10:28 PM   #10
fyrefairy
It is true that they can retain sperm, and those look nice and healthy to me. I'd go ahead an incubate them if you can. Good luck with those babies

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google