• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What kinds of snakes eat rabbits?

carnivorouszoo

Crazy Critter Lady
I raise rabbits for meat and some times we have stillborns, or lose some during weaning time. It's normal and is rarely related to an illness, more like for some reason the kit's gut flora couldn't adjust right to solids and they fail to thrive.

I hate to waste anything and so was wondering if you fine folks could tell me of a kind of snake that would not get ginormous that could eat newborn to 4 week old rabbits. I could almost guarantee they would never be much over 1 lb each. To be honest I have seen rats bigger than these rabbit babies in pet shops. Called XL or Jumbo rats I think.

Thanks! :bowdown:

I raise rabbits for meat and some times we have stillborns, or lose some during weaning time. It's normal and is rarely related to an illness, more like for some reason the kit's gut flora couldn't adjust right to solids and they fail to thrive.

I hate to waste anything and so was wondering if you fine folks could tell me of a kind of snake that would not get ginormous that could eat newborn to 4 week old rabbits. I could almost guarantee they would never be much over 1 lb each. To be honest I have seen rats bigger than these rabbit babies in pet shops. Called XL or Jumbo rats I think.

Thanks! :bowdown:

Are you more interested in colubrids or boids?

Pretty big item... hmm, maybe you should get a boa? Or a Carpet python? Boas are big, and carpet pythons are known for being able to eat HUUUGE items.

I would say something in a smaller boa, they can eat rather large meals but don't get incredibly huge in the long run like a python or some boas can. Maybe a Hogg Island Boa or a Central American??

Hmm, I'm not really sure what I am interested in actually. I know I want a BP one day but am not sure they could handle anything past a stillborn. Don't really want a Boa they get really big and like I said I want to try to stay around 6 feet max on length of snake. Saw a Diamond Python (might have been boa, not sure lol) on iherp but looked them up and they can get 13 feet. I will look up carpet pythons, I have seen some needing a new home from time to time.

My personal choice if it were me would be a large colorful colubrid, maybe a chain king. Something with personality. I am not a huge boid person, but they are excellent pets. Maybe a carpet python, or maybe consider a Woma, I don't think they get too big.

Pretty big item... hmm, maybe you should get a boa? Or a Carpet python? Boas are big, and carpet pythons are known for being able to eat HUUUGE items.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
THIS
You need a Carpet python.
Lots of really cool one's out there for you to choose from.....
And addictive..
You really should do it..
You will not regret it.
Honest.

Hey Mike, are you saying that because you might know where I can get one? I did some reading and actually think I DO want a carpet. They look so neat! Anyone know some websites of folks that raise them for me to research which morph I want? Recommendations on good reliable breeders?

You got some good guys on your side of the pond...
Nick Mutton is 'helpful'
Yasser at spitfire reptiles....
Lots..
Try
moreliapythons.com
Have a good look at what's available before jumping in...
You really won't be sorry..
BTW.. Carpets are relatively new... So morphs are still being worked out.... ;)

Hey carnivorouszoo,

I have a dumb idea, why not just freeze them and put an ad on craige's list and sell them as snake food to someone who has large snakes. Just my 2 cents.

Love the Fatman

Hey carnivorouszoo,

I have a dumb idea, why not just freeze them and put an ad on craige's list and sell them as snake food to someone who has large snakes. Just my 2 cents.

Love the Fatman
he is only saying this as he wants a carpet python before you....
So he can be cooler than you.....:laugh:

female DUMERIL's BOA!

at least i THINK a full grown female could eat a 1lb rabbit.

i have a male, but he is sort of young, and the males don't get as big as females. they are absolutely LOVELY snakes though, such a great disposition.

Hmm, I will keep that in mind, but I really like how carpets look. Only problem I found was the sites I looked at talked about enclosures in measurements. I am not familiar with the measurements of tanks. I have a 20 long and a 29 tall. Would either of these work for a carpet or should I try to trade them for a 55? (Or just buy a used 55 lol)

Hey carnivorouszoo,

Love the Fatman

Oh, I did try that a couple of times but all I got in response was people asking if I had live. Since I raise for my family to eat, that really would not work for me at this time. With a carpet I would also breed rats so it would not just get rabbits, it would have mice and rats available to eat too. Besides, I am just in the planning stages. I don't plan to actually buy until probably around April maybe later if I go to a breeder :)

I looked up carpet python breeders and most the websites I got were 2003 info up to 2008 info but no recent animals available. All the sites were old :(

Ok I found a site that says they need a 125 gallon tank, another says 75, another says 50 and another says 100??? I could do a 55 gallon tank in my home no problem, but nothing bigger. How in the world do I know what is right? Hmm, maybe I shouldn't get a carpet. If it helps I know I can have a 55 gallon tank in my home without having to sleep on the floor lol.

I weighed my largest kit, they are 3 weeks old and he weighed in at 0.59 lbs So I was over estimating weight. Does this make any difference? Deffinitely smaller than a guinea pig lol.

Back