• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Motley Tessera vs. Stripe Tessera

Walter Smith

CRAZY BOUT' CORNS !!
Ok peeps, need a little help here. I posted pics. of 2 Tessera Motleys in the photo gallery asking for peoples opinion on what they thought they were and got what I thought I would, alot of different answers, a couple being Tessera Stripe, which was what I was looking for and here is why.

I bred a Caramel het Motley X Tessera het Motley last season. At the time, I didn't know the Caramel was het Motley until the clutch hatched, getting patterns of Blotched, Motley, Tessera, and Motley Tesseras.....(one of the Motleys, a Tessera and both Tessera Motleys pictured from the clutch).

Here is MY confusion, I've seen quite a few Tesseras being advertised (and posted in pubic AND personal photo galleries) that look IDENTICAL to these (pics. 3 & 4) as STRIPED Tesseras, which I believe are being mis-identified.

I know these I have are Motley Tesseras simply because they have Motley siblings and no stiped sibs, but I have also never produced STRIPED Tesseras.

I'm wondering if there has been a solid conclusion on how to clearly identify a Motley Tessera from a Striped Tessera ??

ALL info (and pics.) would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks, Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 267
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 267
It seems that tessera motleys, tessera motley stripeds and tessera stripeds can really be close to each other.
I know my tessera is het for striped since this year coz I bred him to females which have motley or striped.
From the Striped pairings I only got stripeds and the tessera stripeds, no motleys. From the motleys with the tessera I got Tessera motley stripeds also with normal looking motleys (we know striped is often be masked by the dominant motley).
So the tesseras from the striped * tessera het striped have to be striped and not motley striped.
I have made fresh pics as you maybe have seen and If you like I will photograph some more animals tomorrow and post them here.

Here are the three I pictured today.
The first two are from the pairing Tessera het Amel, Anery, Hypo STRIPED * Auratum Striped het Anery (100000% no motley involved)

The Anery Tessera MOTLEY*Striped is from the same Tessera paired with a Golddust Motley het Anery (I am sure its only motley coz last year she was paired with a golddust diffused het motley and there were only motleys nothing which seems to have the striped gen)

Attachments

• toffee tess str small.jpg
    toffee tess str small.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 262
  • tess snow st small.jpg
    tess snow st small.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 262
  • anery tess str mo small.jpg
    anery tess str mo small.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 263
Ah I forgot i also have tessera motley stripeds which looks like yours on the other PC. Maybe I can post them later for you.
Tomorrow I can add another Toffee Tessera striped, Tessera Striped, Amel Tessera Motley Striped and a Auratum Tessera Striped if you like.

Ah I forgot i also have tessera motley stripeds which looks like yours on the other PC. Maybe I can post them later for you.
Tomorrow I can add another Toffee Tessera striped, Tessera Striped, Amel Tessera Motley Striped and a Auratum Tessera Striped if you like.

Thanks so much for the pics. and info and YES I would like for you to post more.

Just to add, again my confusion: Your first pic & My last pic. look IDENTICAL as far as pattern (to me), yet yours as you mentioned IS a Striped Tessera (100000% no motley involved) and mine has no stripe involved, yet look the same :shrugs:

Walter

Mate thats not 100% right.
I saw your pics and know immidetaly that there is tessera and motley, I thought motley striped and I tell you why. Of course its only from what I have bred and seen so far.
Your tessera motley pic one is nearly perfect striped but the sidestripeds and the damn how to write.....(i am only german sorry :D ) before the backstriping vanishes and the sidestriping starts the vanishing color of the striped is not 100% clean. In all tessera stripeds I have seen, the vanishing color of this striped is clean and at motley they are not. I am really sorry for that terrible explanation.
I will try to see what pics I can find in some mins so please wait a bit. And tomorrow there will also be more.

I would like to also add to everyone. I'm starting this thread in hopes to simply learn something. This is not about right or wrong, but about trying to figure out a way to clearly determine visually between Motley Tessera & Stripe Tessera seeing they seem to look the same..............when ya don't know, it does not hurt to ask !!

I just want this thread to become one that we all can learn something from...............well if you don't already know ;)

Thanks, Walter

Your tessera motley pic one is nearly perfect striped but the sidestripeds and the damn how to write.....(i am only german sorry :D )

LOL.........that's ok. I was not talking about my pic. one, I was refering to my pic. two.............the last pic. in my begining post.

My last and your first pics. (to me) seem to be identical in pattern.

Walter

Attachments

• toffee%20tess%20str%20small.jpg
    toffee%20tess%20str%20small.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 255
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 257
but please dont missunderstand. As I said, I dont know myself lol. Its just the differences I see between tose to nearly same animals.
If its wrong or right, it cannot say easaly, because we all know the big range corns can have in a morhp. I never intended to be right and you are wrong, so please dont get the wrong idea :D

Its also a problem which bugs me and a lot more ppl here. BTW I have more pics. Just need to resize them.

I would like to also add to everyone. I'm starting this thread in hopes to simply learn something. This is not about right or wrong, but about trying to figure out a way to clearly determine visually between Motley Tessera & Stripe Tessera seeing they seem to look the same..............when ya don't know, it does not hurt to ask !!

I just want this thread to become one that we all can learn something from...............well if you don't already know ;)

Thanks, Walter

but please dont missunderstand. As I said, I dont know myself lol. Its just the differences I see between tose to nearly same animals.
If its wrong or right, it cannot say easaly, because we all know the big range corns can have in a morhp. I never intended to be right and you are wrong, so please dont get the wrong idea :D

Its also a problem which bugs me and a lot more ppl here. BTW I have more pics. Just need to resize them.

Exactly what I posted already ;)

Walter

So here I have some old pics but well the pattern doesnt changed from the Pairing
Tessera het Amel Anery, Hypo Striped * Mandarin Motley het Caramel ( as far as I know there is no striped involved. After all striped came in kastanie really late lol)

1.1 Tessera Motley * Striped (one that looks like yours mate)
0.1 Amel Tessera Motley Striped
1.0 normal Motley

Attachments

• classic motley pos tess kastanie nr 2.jpg
    classic motley pos tess kastanie nr 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 118
  • amel tess mot str female.jpg
    amel tess mot str female.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 118
  • tessera mot str kastanie male.jpg
    tessera mot str kastanie male.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 118
  • tessera mot str kastanie female.jpg
    tessera mot str kastanie female.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 118
1.1 Tessera Motley * Striped (one that looks like yours mate)

I agree that your (pic.1) looks like mine (pic.2) BUT not like mine (pic.3)

I think the comparison of yours and mine in the earlier post (post #7) look the same, which you mention yours IS a Stripe Tessera.

Walter

Attachments

• tessera%20mot%20str%20kastanie%20female.jpg
    tessera%20mot%20str%20kastanie%20female.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 117
and here are the pips from the Auratum striped pairing I havent shown yet and also a comparison pic of the amel tessera motley striped with the auratum tessera striped. And its nearly the same.....

Attachments

• toffee and classic tess str small.jpg
    toffee and classic tess str small.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 117
  • aur tess str small.jpg
    aur tess str small.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 117
  • toffee tess striped male smale .jpg
    toffee tess striped male smale .jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 117
  • amel tess mot str vs aur tess str.jpg
    amel tess mot str vs aur tess str.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 117
I think these two are really identical
and with this snake they nearly all look the same:
So we have

tessera motley
tessera motley *striped
tessera striped

wanna say that we are doomend now....LOL

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 113
  • tessera mot str kastanie male.jpg
    tessera mot str kastanie male.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 113
  • classic tess fem small.jpg
    classic tess fem small.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 113
and here are the pips from the Auratum striped pairing I havent shown yet and also a comparison pic of the amel tessera motley striped with the auratum tessera striped. And its nearly the same.....

This is what I'm getting at "It's nealry the SAME"

What I would like to know/figure out if there is a difinitve way, to know exactly between the two ????

Because I think if we don't figure out a way, alot of Striped Tessera will end up being sold as Motley Tesseras and visa-versa..........if that has not happend already :shrugs:

Walter

I think these two are really identical
and with this snake they nearly all look the same:
So we have

tessera motley
tessera motley *striped
tessera striped

wanna say that we are doomend now....LOL

This is what I'm getting at "It's nealry the SAME"

What I would like to know/figure out if there is a difinitve way, to know exactly between the two ????

Because I think if we don't figure out a way, alot of Striped Tessera will end up being sold as Motley Tesseras and visa-versa..........if that has not happend already :shrugs:

Walter

LOL............I think I already have.

Walter

Well mate seeing those three animals it gives me a pain but I think the only thing is that Striped tesseras are a little bit more "perfect" striped at all lines. I dont see any other difference.
And even this can vary a lot :(

What is your take on this one?? Sorry, he is in shed in the pic.

Walter

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 111
I would say its a pure tessera striped from the looks

I also have an adult Tessera striped pic :)

Attachments

• tessera striped small.jpg
    tessera striped small.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 112
I would say its a pure tessera striped from the looks

I also have an adult Tessera striped pic :)

That's what I aquired it as and figured that seeing there is NO latteral striping this could be a way of determining the differnce, but I guess this is not the case.

Yours is very nice as well !!

I'm hoping some others have some input to help out on this matter??.....................anyone??

Walter

Back