• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Surcharge on lone or extra females

Me too!

CornsnakeKeeper said:
Darn! Darn Darn! LOL I knew I should have placed my order a couple of days ago!...

I wish I had placed my order too! But we are in the process of finding a new home and that costs a lot of money :) I cant wait till the day when I can start placing my orders! I will probably need a loan by that time because all the ones I want are the high demanded and high priced ones! *S* Take care, Lindsay

LOL Hurley, my reasoning was the same as yours...
I actually considered placing my order already, but I decided that I had until Daytona before he sold a bunch of them...

Okay guys, I have figured it out. Remember how newbies will ask whether a male or female corn snake makes a better pet? Well, we need to always tell them that the male cornsnake is MUCH calmer and a MUCH better pet than the female. Then those people will help get rid of the surplus of males. And we all know that there really isn't any difference in temperment. Seriously, though, if someone only wants to have one snake (but we all started out only wanting ONE snake) and have it solely as a pet, then they should buy a male. Just my opinion (and wishful thinking).
sue frederick

Sounds like a good idea! I dont want to lie though it does more harm than good for the knowledge of reptiles. Just suggest a male snake for reasons of: easier to come by & some breeders offer discounts on them.:D

Yeah, when I was getting ready to buy my 1st snake, I decided to get a male b/c I didn't want a female laying eggs all over the place. (I didn't know much about females' laying habits)
Only a few months and 2 females later, I've decided that I now WANT eggs "all over the place" (in a few years of course). :)

I forgot all about the problems of potential egg-binding. That is another selling point for males. Plus they can save money on food when the male goes on his breeding hunger strike, cause if you only have a male, you can figure he will not be able to breed and will not eat for at least a month in the spring. And we can use the "male corn snakes usually are larger than females" (of the same morph) selling point. Let's see whatother selling points we can come up with.
suefrederick

I wouldn't say you could count on the males having a breeding hunger strike of any length in the spring. My 4 ft. male (plenty big enough for breeding) did not miss one meal all spring. He didn't get to breed. He did skip one meal recently while he was in shed, but that's it.

Back