CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

African house snakes

Old 04-05-2004, 10:22 PM   #1
Gorn
African house snakes

Skye Asked me if I could start a new thread and post some info about Those little brown things called African house snakes.

First, Here some link about them :

http://www.kingsnake.com/housesnake/index.html
http://www.snakebreeder.co.uk/html/how_snake.html
http://www.reptilekeeper.co.uk/africanhousecare.php
http://coloherp.org/cb-news/Vol-28/c...amprophis.html

They're really cool snakes. At least mine is. They say that they are breeding machines. Unfortunately people around here told me that they a unpopular. So that's why I've never bought a male for my little girl. I didn't want to be stuck with all those hatchling.

You will also learn in those links that they have a really big appetite. that was true with mine untill here first winter. She stopped eating for 4 months and she did it again this year. I Don't know if it's normal or not? Any of you as the same problem with a African house.
Any other african house keepers on the forum?

Here's my girl

Old 04-05-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
Spitfire
People may say they're unpopular but I think that's a beautiful snake.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Amanda E
She's beautiful.

They are one of the many snakes on my wish-list.

A local breeder is working with olive house snakes, a subspecies of what you have. As soon as he has babies, I'm going to get a few.

Here's a photo of one:

Old 04-06-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
Spitfire
Nice snake. They look so alike except for the color. How much do african house snakes cost usually?

Old 04-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
Ken Harbart
Actually, the olive house snake is a different species altogether.

AHS are popular snakes, as they are hardy and breed readily. Up until last year, I was working with about 30 AHS of all morphs and phases, along with Namibian house snakes. Currently, I'm only working with one pair of AHS.

There's a few other follks on this site that work with AHS morphs, Aurora house snakes, and Namibian house snakes.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:44 AM   #6
Ken Harbart
Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire
Nice snake. They look so alike except for the color. How much do african house snakes cost usually?
Prices can range anywhere from $15 for a hatchling brown house snake to ~$350 for albinos.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #7
Skye
Great, thanks for starting this thread - very nice female you have there Gorn.

I'll look forward to reading those links later.

Meanwhile more questions for those in the know. I suspect some of these are covered in the links, so I apologise that I haven't read them yet.

What is the size range for adults?
For those of you that keep them, what are your views on housing pairs together, vs. all separate housing?
How large are the hatchlings? What do you start feeding hatchlings on?
Which of the AHS, Aurora house snakes, and Namibian house snakes are most prolific, and how many offspring would be likely in a year? What are the main differences between these species?
I know they can breed year round, so presumably no cooling is required?
What are the down-sides of these species?
Where is a reputable place to get them in the US?

Many thanks for all and any replies,

Skye

Old 04-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
Skye
oh, and how long do they take to reach maturity/recommended breeding age/size?

Thanks again,

Skye

Old 04-06-2004, 03:07 PM   #9
Taceas
Well I guess I'll expose my ignorance here, this is the first time I've ever heard of an African House Snake, but geeze I can't imagine them being unpopular in any respects at all! They're beautiful!

How are the temperments of those compare to corn snakes? That green one is really unique looking. =)

Old 04-06-2004, 03:50 PM   #10
Simon
I like them~~
their eyes have something that attracts me (heck all snkaes does)

They are cute little snakes~