CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

help, snake not eating

Old 04-10-2002, 01:43 AM   #1
sueb
help, snake not eating

I'm having a problem!! I got my corn on feb 14. she's been eating f/t the entire time twice a week, well up until Mar. 18. She doesn't seem interested in eating anyting. So on Mar. 28, we gave her a live pinky, she killed it right away, tried to injest it but let it go 3x, then she left it there for a day. I finally took it out. What should I do?? The last shed she had was on Feb. 25. Could she be getting ready to shed again, and that's why she's not eating??
We gave her another live on Apr. 5, and she did the same thing as with the first live. I'm at a total loss!!! She is still pretty active as well. I've tried giving her a warm bath, then a warm f/t. Nothings working. I'm afraid that she's going to starve to death. Help me please!!

Old 04-10-2002, 03:43 AM   #2
Simon
Don't worry too much about it yet. A month or two without eating will not do too much harm to the snake. As long as it's still active and doesn't look too wrong. It might only be in shed or preparing for shedding. Keep a good eye on the snake and make sure that the weight of the snake doesn't get too low. That is make sure that the snake's skin isn't wrinkly.......
make sure that is has access to fresh water and the temperature and humidity level is correct.

If the problem still continues, come back on forum and post agian, we'll think of something to help it. Don't worry.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 04-10-2002, 04:17 AM   #3
sueb
Smile thank-you

Thanks for the advice. I'm really new at this snake raising thing. But I love snakes so much, that I made my hubby get one!!, He wanted to get a tarantula(yuck!!)

Old 04-10-2002, 05:37 AM   #4
jim
sue,
i agree with simon. don't worry unless you otice signs that the snake is getting too thin. 3 of my snakes are totally off food right now an i expect that they'll be back on in less than a month and hungry. this time of year it seems to happen quite often especially with the males. with the cooler dryer weather the most important thing is to make sure that they have plenty of fresh drinking water and go through their shed cycles normally. (not too fast, could be dehydration) take care... jim

Old 04-10-2002, 12:31 PM   #5
sue frederick
Are you positive "she" is a "she"? I had the same thing happen with mine last spring, and found out "she" was a "he"! Male cornsnakes can go into a breeding mode and will commonly refuse food during breeding season. If your snake was eating F/T, I would not try to switch her to live food now. See my response to "feeding two mice at time" post for reasons for not feeding live.
sue frederick

Old 04-10-2002, 12:47 PM   #6
LizS
Just another thought here: examine the mouth to make sure she doesn't have mouth rot. It's a bit hard to do, as snakes squirm a lot when restrained. Try slipping a folded business card or a paperclip (rounded sides only) into the mouth, and look for localized red areas. Chances are she's ok, and simply not hungry right now. Mouth rot would probably show on the outside as a swollen area along her "lips".

Old 04-10-2002, 05:28 PM   #7
csmith1626
Smile i'm helping

LIKE IT SAID EARLYIER SHE MAYBE REALLY A HESO HAVE A PROFESSIONAL BREEDER CHECK FOR YOU.

Old 04-10-2002, 05:55 PM   #8
nicky
ya sounds like a classic pronle,m

don't worry
like all these other smart people said just relax. It could be hibernation or breeding behaviour either or just wanted towish ya good luck
corns rule!!!

Old 04-12-2002, 11:02 AM   #9
Darin Chappell
Maybe this has already been answered, and possibly I just missed it in the original post. How old is your snake? I assume that she is rather young as you are giving her pinkies. However, my females that are old enough to breed will often go off of their feed for quite a while before they actually lay their eggs. I still try to get them to take pinkies (hence my possible confusion with your post) even though their eggs are taking up much of their stomach space/capacity. That way they tend to lose less weight throughout the process and are more likely to double clutch wihtout any harmful effects.

Let us know how it goes -- Darin

Old 04-12-2002, 03:15 PM   #10
lynn
my corn has not eaten her last two meal's either and she didn't have her shed last month though at this particular moment she look's like she could be having a shed soon but it never stopped her eating before. I even managed to give her a bath this time I didn't realize they could swim underwater. It was not that deep not even half way up her body but she kept putting her head in. So I'm hoping mine will shed this time and start eating again. let us know how you get on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google