CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Taken a turn for the worst. I need help/advice..

Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Tula_Montage
Taken a turn for the worst. I need help/advice..

Some of you may know the story of Windsor. I got him about 2 months ago as a non feeder royal. He has struck fed perfectly for me every time hes been offered since I got him and gained 100 grams. Anyway, soon after he developed a respiratory infection - who knows how and who really cares. The point is I rushed him to the vet and got him on broad spectrum anti biotics straight away. These did not work. Hes to go back to the vet at the end of the week but I'm not sure I or he can wait.

I found this when I went to check on him tonight...

Blood splattered all over the walls

I don't know whats causing this. Theres no cuts inside or outside his mouth - I checked. His RI is hitting the poor creature with a vengance. Hes also noticeably swollen the whole length of his body. Hes an underweight royal, and has lost 50 grams since developing the RI - the picture shown illustrates just how swollen he is... His tummy should be flat and a bit sunken in since hes not an ideal weight.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
texastailfeathers
I don't know a darn thing about snake lungs, but if he were a mammal I'd say he is coughing up blood.

Poor thing. That can't be good, whatever it is.

Wishing you both the best. I know you have been very proud of his progress. He's a gorgeous guy...he deserves to get better.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Tula_Montage
I think it's from his lungs... and I don't think he will make it :'(

Old 11-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
texastailfeathers
Awwww... I hope he does make it!

What are the temp/humidity requirements for a RI? Did you lower his humidity? Maybe his lungs are dry and getting irritated...?

EDIT: Wow, a lot of people posted while I was writing that message. Pneumonia...man, that sucks. I will be hoping for the best. *hugs*

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
tricksterpup
Elle,
I would see if the Vet will see you either tonight or tomorrow. I would not wait til Friday. But yes, if its as bad as it looks it would have killed off a Mammal a long time ago. Now the swelling, I am assuming he is retaining fluids?
If he does pass away, please and I do mean please get a necropsy done ASAP. You really should find out what is causing this. Please, you have some wonderful boids in your collection and I would be afraid that this might be passed along to them. So wash and sanitize hands and everything you touch for the next month.

( you are talking to the guy who wouldn't stick his hands in his reef tank when he was sick with a cold or flu.)

Old 11-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Tula_Montage
Thanks... Hes in a completely different house to my other boids so theres no chance of cross contamination.

Heres some more info from the vet.

"in that case the swelling sounds like parrasites that eat the gut wall... if its been in cold conditions for 8/9 months not eating his immune system will be weak"

"I think even 4 weks ago when you did try baytril it was probably too late"

" it's already dead, put it out of its misery"

Old 11-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
"I think even 4 weks ago when you did try baytril it was probably too late"

" it's already dead, put it out of its misery"
Let us know what happens, but I would still love to see a necropsy done. I am very curious what was the cause of this and how bad his insides are.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
Let us know what happens, but I would still love to see a necropsy done. I am very curious what was the cause of this and how bad his insides are.
I will deffinatley do that, and we can get to the bottom of this.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
diamondlil
Sorry about the suffering, Elle. What did you mean about him being in 'cold conditions' though?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
Sorry about the suffering, Elle. What did you mean about him being in 'cold conditions' though?
It was just an "IF" from the vet...

Of course theres no solid diagnosis until he is seen personally by my herp vet... if he makes it.