CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Taken a turn for the worst. I need help/advice..

Old 11-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #101
diamondlil
It's the sort of thing that should be publicised though, IMO. If it saves the disease from spreading or at least raises awareness.The length of time the disease can lie dormant and then the speed of progression means it could have devastating effects to the hobby in this country

Old 11-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #102
Tula_Montage
Exactly Janine. Lynn phoned the vet today and he told the labs down south to test for paramyxovirus after he opened him up as there were signs of it.

It's just a waiting game now, and it's causes uproar in the hobby but I don't care. I may have ruined my chances of breeding this year - even if none of my colubrids show any signs people will not want to buy from me. Does that not show that its just not about reputations... I'm doing this for the safety of the animals.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #103
diamondlil
Well, I don't care if my heads-up on the other forum is appreciated or not, after reading about the disease I felt I had to say something. If it is that disease, and it can be stopped in it's tracks, that's better than keeping quiet. Even if, touching wood, it meant your collection and any others affected were lost, that would be better than losing the hobby as a whole.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #104
Tula_Montage
Thing is, this virus cannot be cured. And it can lay dormant for up to a year. How many people already have it in their collection?

Even if Windsor does not have paramyxovirus it's still in the hobby. There was an outbreak 8 years ago, and it took 3 years for people to feel safe again.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #105
diamondlil
But perhaps this will make people more vigilant again for good reasons. From what I've read so far, good quarantine measures are vital.
I found the fact that not all snakes show symptoms and that it has been isolated from seemingly-healthy snakes found dead for no apparent reason the worst news possible.
At the shows I've been to, I've seen people just allowing potential buyers to handle their snakes. Lex makes you use hand sanitiser first. I know which practise I preferred

Old 11-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #106
Tula_Montage
Well I have been in touch with someone who knows people directly organising the upcoming Rodbaston show. And suggested that they should impliment hand sanitizer on EVERY table. And perhaps an information sheet should be handed out regarding the virus.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #107
diamondlil
Good work girlie. I won't be at any shows until next summer, but was thinking disposable gloves would be a good idea. (Mainly after seeing Vin-man using them)

Old 11-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #108
Tula_Montage
Yeah. Perhaps these extremem measures are not extreme at all.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #109
klootie
HI.. Im Lynn... the person that posted on RFUK..

If anyone wants to contact me feel free..

Just to clear something up.. the vets have not said there are signs of this virus what they said was they were concerned about it BEING this virus... I know its splitting hairs but at a time like this we all need to be exact..

They have asked the labs that windosrs bloods and biopsies have been sent to to LOOK for it specifically...

sorry elle i just wanted to clear that up

xxx

Old 11-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #110
diamondlil
Well, V-man's been in the business a long time. If the principal of universal precautions helps, it's worth a shot and not extreme at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google