• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Carbon dioxide build-up in shoebox's?

I used to keep real plants in my tanks but had to remove them due to sec=veral factors.
1) the soil went mouldy
2) I discovered soil mites :(
3) my snakes always dissappeared way into the soil!!

The plants were great apart from that though ;) . I think if I go for real plants again, I'll go for a different type of compost and plants that are mosr suited for humid temps. Try glasshouse plants (tropical plants etc). I think they would do best. Just my opinion though! :D

oh and ps, plants release CO2 aswell as O2

The issue of carbon dioxide (CO2) build-up in enclosed spaces, like shoeboxes, can depend on various factors such as the size of the space, ventilation, and the number of people or living organisms inside. Typically, shoeboxes are not airtight, and there is some natural air exchange occurring. However, if you're concerned about potential CO2 build-up or poor air quality in a small enclosed space
It's important to note that CO2 is a natural component of the air, and in well-ventilated spaces, concentrations remain at safe levels. However, in enclosed spaces with limited ventilation, concentrations can rise over time. Always prioritize safety and ensure proper ventilation, especially in confined spaces. If there are concerns about air quality or if someone is experiencing symptoms related to poor ventilation, it's advisable to leave the enclosed space and seek fresh air.

Carbon Dioxide is a natural component of air at approximately 0.03 %.Carbon dioxide is heavier than air.
Since carbon dioxide is almost 53% heavier than air, it will settle
to the bottom of a room or container and displace air.
That is why I also drill at least one hole at bottom of container as to alleviate the air pressure by allowing easier passive airflow.

How many holes and what size are enough in a rubbermaid shoebox, factoring in ambient temp.maintenence requirements in the boxes?
With one resident?Two?
How many is to few holes?

How long would it take for young hatchling to consume the oxgen in a airtight shoebox and suffocate?(conversational reasons here,don't get excited)?Yearling?

Thoughts,suggestions out there?
For a rubbermaid shoebox with one resident, consider adding 2-4 small holes (around 1/8 inch in diameter) for passive airflow. With two residents, you might want to increase to 4-6 holes. Proper ventilation helps maintain oxygen levels and regulates carbon dioxide. Monitor ambient temperature and adjust as needed. It's essential to strike a balance, ensuring ample airflow without causing temperature extremes. As for suffocation, in a properly ventilated box, there shouldn't be concerns. Happy reptile keeping! 🦎

Back