CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Canon 1200 D DSLR (T5, T6)

Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #61
Karl_Mcknight
More pictures from Radnor Lake this Sunday morning

I carried Rufus with me to the Lake this morning and he got in on some of the pictures. All pictures were taken with the 50mm ~ 300mm Lens. All pictures were taken in "Auto Mode" as I had my hands full with Rufus, I couldn't take the time to manage the camera.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #62
Karl_Mcknight
Sunday (6/25/17) at Radnor Lake

Went back to the Lake this morning.

Picture 1 - The herd (I count 5 deer) came down to the water's edge for a drink and a splash in the water. I was on the opposite side of the lake and heard the splashing. I estimate I was about 1/4 mile away using the 300mm Lens. I had the camera set to auto focus and auto settings.

Picture 2 - This young female walked right out in front of me. I quickly snapped a picture and she wandered off. The animals are protected as it's a Wildlife Refuge and state park. By law you are not allowed to touch them, harass them, feed them...etc... You can't even pick a flower out here without serious consequences. So the animals "know" it's safe and they will just walk right up to you sometimes as if to rub your nose in it.

Picture 3 - A Blue Herron sunning itself on a partially submerged tree.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #63
DollysMom
Thanks, Karl. Beautiful!

Old 08-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #64
Karl_Mcknight
Tomorrow (Monday 8/21/17) at about 1:30 pm local time (Nashville Tn/ Central Time zone) we will experience a Total Eclipse of the Sun. I will be at work when this happens, but I will be carrying my camera with me as well as some mylar sheets for filtering. I will have various things at my disposal, including a makeshift solar projector. Hopefully if all goes well, I will have some projected images of the sun as well as actual images of the sun, before blackout, during blackout, and post blackout. We are only supposed to have about 2 minutes of Totality here in my location so I'll have to be set up ahead of time and work fast. If I'm lucky, I'll have some pictures to post here in a day or so.

I did some practice shots with the mylar sheeting over a lens, and 2 sheets worked really well. I was able to play with my settings and get some ideas of what I will need to do.

When in automatic mode, a digital camera "Wants to Expose" correctly, and of course you can't do that and get good pictures when aiming directly at the sun.

But when in Manual mode, with 2 sheets of Mylar, I was able to set my ISO to 200, my Focal to F22, and with a shutter speed of 1/500th of a second had some decent shots.

Of course this could vary tomorrow depending on sun angle, clouds or no clouds, and whether I continue to use 2 sheets of mylar or I may have to go to 3 if it's too bright.

And of course when doing this (I / You / Nobody), should ever look at the sun with their unprotected eyes, never aim a digital camera at the sun without some filtering media, and never look through a camera or telescope at the sun without proper filtering media.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #65
DollysMom
Wishing you clear skies, Karl. I'm going to be a bit north of you in Gallatin. I'm just going to watch.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google