CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Smert' belkam (death to squirrels)

Old 05-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #11
Twolunger
I'm having more trouble with rabbits down here. Usually the bobcats, panthers, and coyotes take care of them, but they must be lazy this year. As I got older, so did the scope sizes. LOL.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
Rich Z
Yeah, I hear that. I'm not sure I could shoot worth a damn using iron sights any longer. My vision isn't what it used to be.

Actually I was thinking about getting a scope for one of my .22 pistols. I've got a pretty accurate Hammerli Trailside that a scope would probably work wonders for. I guess some sort of red dot scope would work pretty well.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #13
Twolunger
My son has a Ruger .22 bull barrel model fitted with a silencer ( licensed) and a Redfield red/green dot plus laser. Quite a combination for taking out small vermin. Not sure if that scope is still available, everyone seems to be sold out.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #14
Rich Z
How is the accuracy of the Ruger with that silencer? I've always heard that the wipes in a silencer can drastically affect accuracy since in many designs, the bullet will actually contact the exit end wipe.

Always been meaning to buy a Ruger .22 handgun, but for some reason it has just never happened. Maybe the next time I go to a gun show I should really look hard at one.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
Twolunger
Several of my friends bought the Rugers and they say choose the heavier barrel model. My son has both models and I didn't see much difference in accuracy between them, and the silencer made no difference. I think he said his silencer was made by Advanced Armaments Corp. Their website showed the baffles but I couldn't tell if any had wipes. The NRA is correct, silencers don't make a gun silent. A better name would be moderator.
If you really want to have some fun, and your budget would allow it, check out the Sam Yang .50 cal air rifle.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Rich Z
Yeah, that .50 cal does look interesting. Sure would knock a squirrel for a loop. But a single shot wouldn't be my best choice for squirrel hunting. Sometimes quick followup shots can make all the difference between a confirmed kill and a dammit....

Old 05-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #17
Twolunger
Yes, I had to be practical also, so I bought a Hatsan AT44 Tactical Quiet Energy in .25 cal. Gives you 10 shots, plus 2 additional clips. Picatinny rails in case you want to mount a laser or flashlight. It's a PCP air rifle that I charge with a scuba tank. I have a Benjamin Maximus .22 that is nice but single shot. I hate fumbling around for another pellet if I miss the first shot. I wouldn't pay the $570 usual price but got it for $350 on sale at Field Supply. I couldn't risk a stray bullet from my .17 or .22 in this area, so opted for air rifles.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #18
Rich Z
Yeah, I like using the 17HMR cartridge. Small, light and very fast hollow point bullet, so it probably self destructs on the first thing it hits. With my property being very heavily wooded, it would have to be an extremely huge stroke of bad luck for a fired bullet to get off of my property. So far I haven't found any bullet holes in any of my buildings. Connie wouldn't be at all happy about that..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google