CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Corn Snakes Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snakes Wanted Looking for something special and you don't know who has it for sale? Post what you are looking for here and see if you get any bites.

Palmetto Corn Snake

Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #31
dave partington
The lottery. You can't lose if you don't play. That might have come out wrong.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #32
Carpe Serpentis
Missed your other question about f2 hybrids. Sorry, I'm fairly new to snakes and I try to make that abundantly clear in many of my posts. I do however have some f5 hybrids (chickens) I'm working with right now that I started from scratch and I've also started some 10,000 hybrids of my own F1 in a single year when dealing with plants. So, I've got a firm grasp on just how hard it is to when the lottery and the more genes your working with the harder it is. I definitely tilt my hat as a gesture of respect to any who have tried in earnest to play that lottery and I salute those that have played the lottery and one so to speak.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #33
dave partington
Okay- when you do get to snake projects, I'd be curious to know if there's different nuances between say mammalian, avian, and reptilian breeding projects with regard to genes, traits, newly developed traits, and traits which have been developed for several generations, & stuf like that. That is, with regard to punnet calculations, predictability, etc, is any one family of animals more prone to behaving the way the calculator says it should then another?.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #34
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oni View Post
I noticed SMR is starting to sell females only for $2,000.
I have tried searching but i dont think im throwing in the right keywords.

Why would females be less?
Wouldnt they pass on the same gene as a male?
Im just getting to reading about breeding and genetics so i please forgive, i did try to search.
I've thought this thread over some more since originally seeing it awhile back.
1.) The first females from the first couple of years they were available have been sold out and moved on, so there will be a few more younger ones available, for an understandably lower price, as they will not be of breedable size until a later time.

2.) as for hets. If one acquires female hets or male hets for the palmetto expression,
-- hets may contain other genes and thus may be 50% unrelated to the visual Palmettos. Because most breeders already know there is a risk element involved regarding breeding stock to the same stock beyond the F3 generation (risk of congenital birth defects); the advantage of having 50% unrelated stock is worth consideration. These questions may be best to ask when involved with making a transaction.

3.) with regards to female hets for palmetto specifically:
If you already have a female visual Palmetto,
and get some babies from her, and hold back the males which are 100% het Palmetto,

3b.) because males grow up faster to safe-breeding size then females,
then if one has het females which are older and of clutch carrying size,
then one can increase their possible production of visuals more rapidly.

I underline possible because punnet square/ genetics calculators are based on mathematical principles, but what nature yields is often different. Who knows, you may get more, you may get less then the calculations indicate. Is it a risk worth taking? (That's a rhetorical question).

Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #35
Pyzik
Glad I found this. I will put the Palmetto as "out of reach" for me at this time. LOL
This was the morph I was wanting to get the most. Go figure.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #36
Myca
You might be able to sell your first born. On the site, I think he said he was offered $20k. and then $10k. Very interesting. I think he said they came from the Carolina's. You could go up and beat the bush and see if you can find it's relatives.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #37
SMDminnesota
Everything that has inheritable genes should follow a punnett square. UNLESS the gene is inherited differently than you expect it is. This is usually the case when people think a trait is a simple dom/rec and it ends up being trait that is affected by many genes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google