CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Cold temps....

Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #31
Nanci
My water is frozen, even though I left two faucets dripping. I guess I'll leave them running tonight. Last winter, with the longest cold stretch ever, it wasn't a problem because I had such a baad leak out at the well. Hmmm. Maybe I should disconnect the irrigation and let that tap run. I think that's my plan.

On the bright side, the new heat pump isn't freezing up from running constantly, so my house is a lot warmer.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #32
Rich Z
Yeah, I had all the outside faucets running last night to keep the water pump circulating. Got down to 23.7 degrees on the porch last night. Might get colder than that tonight. But the temps should start improving on Wednesday.

High today only reached 43 degrees. Not very "Florida-like" at all....

Old 12-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #33
rich333
currently 26 here low of 11 all week nothing higher than 26 nothing lower than 11.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #34
doogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, I had all the outside faucets running last night to keep the water pump circulating. Got down to 23.7 degrees on the porch last night. Might get colder than that tonight. But the temps should start improving on Wednesday.

High today only reached 43 degrees. Not very "Florida-like" at all....
LOL. I need to move to florida! In uk at the mo its snowing and reaching -10 on my porch! lol

Heat mats on full! With all snakes with knitted socks on! LOL

Its Freeeeezing! Brrrrrr!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #35
Reptileman81
I am telling you its the end of the world 12-21-2012. This is just the start of it. Thats what a good conspiracy theory person would say lol.

I manage my snakes in the laundry room. This room is not heated or cooled. But for the most part it works great all year around down here for the snakes. They start to hibernate when i wish them to and then I can take them out just before Feb. with a space heater. So because of this before I could realize just how cold it got in there I lost a few babies due to this crazy cold snap. I guess I will just know better next year to keep a better eye on that room if it gets this cold again. That is if I am even in this house next year.

Come one spring hurry up.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #36
Rich Z
Yeah, it's been pretty darn chilly here for north Florida. One evening when Connie came back from working at the market (she still works there one day a week), we have put her truck into the garage and while we were walking out of the garage we heard what sounded like running water all around us. We soon found out that it was sleet coming down. Little bits of ice mixed with rain were bouncing off of the concrete apron in front of the garage.

Sheesh.......

As for 12-21-2012, heck, I'm keeping an eye on that one. Problem is that people have been crying "WOLF!" so loudly for so long, for one reason or another, no one is really going to pay much attention to someone actually spotting a REAL wolf.

But you know what? There MIGHT be a reason that all of the governments across this planet are spending money like THERE IS NO TOMORROW....

Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #37
rich333
well,
I just wanted to say..the world can't end until i produce the worlds first All Black corn snake!! (there...that should keep us safe for a rather long time!!)

Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #38
cornmorphs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich333 View Post
well,
I just wanted to say..the world can't end until i produce the worlds first All Black corn snake!! (there...that should keep us safe for a rather long time!!)
or green or blue...
bet there are a few people trying tho lol

Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #39
rich333
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmorphs View Post
or green or blue...
bet there are a few people trying tho lol
heck i'd be happy with a lavender blizzard at the moment!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #40
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich333 View Post
heck i'd be happy with a lavender blizzard at the moment!
I've produced several of them, but the problem was that I really couldn't tell in the babies. Every one in the clutches of possibilities just looked like regular Blizzards. I discovered the very first one I produced kind of after I had already closed the barn door, sort of. I wound up selling it accidentally. Once the babies got out of my hands and being tended to by the worker bees, I never saw them again till they reached breeding size. So during one of my periodic culls, I saw I had an extra young male Blizzard (looking only at the card) that I didn't see any reason for keeping, so I put it up for sale without even looking closely at it. One of my real good customers bought him and a bunch of other stuff, so when I was packing up the order, I pulled this Blizzard out of the cage to put him in a bag and.... Son of a gun...... Very cool pastel lavender color. Then I glanced at the ancestry.. THAT's why I was keeping him.... Darn.... But I had committed to selling him and that was just tough luck for me.....

I would like to say this was the only time something like that happened, but actually far from it......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google