• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eggbound girl. Informative Egg Aspiration Video Included!

Hello,

I would like to make one suggestion regarding the video. Change the name.

I did a quick search on "Egg Aspiration" on youtube and your video is no where on the list. By making it easier to search its possible that many more people will gain such incredibly useful knowledge as this.

I was thinking something about Egg Bound Snake Egg Aspiration, or something to that effect. It would allow you to reach out to a wider audience.

Good suggestion. I'll try to do that on YouTube. I am not sure I've ever tried to change a title there, so I'll have to figure that out. Thanks.

Kenya has shed.

Kenya shed tonight and seems to be doing very well. She didn't take a mouse fuzzy for me until yesterday after she was out of blue. She'll be given a normal meal tomorrow. No signs of infection.

Thank you everyone for your support!

Aren't you thrilled to see that your video has already helped one snake? I am!!

If you can't change the name, can you upload it again under a new name?

I'm happy to hear your girl is doing well!

Thanks Nanci!

It was very gratifying that my video has already been useful!

I changed the name in You Tube, but it didn't seem to help it be "found" when key words were searched :shrugs:

That was awesome! Jessica would you mind if I link that on my web site? You did a great job. The only problem might be finding the syringe and disenfectant, unless you work for a Doctor.

I wonder where you actually punctured the skin? In between the scales you say, but in the middle or as far to the side as possible, like in the picture I attached? My vet told me to do that, she did not tell why though.

Attachments

• egg-aspiration.jpg
    egg-aspiration.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 227
That was awesome! Jessica would you mind if I link that on my web site? You did a great job. The only problem might be finding the syringe and disenfectant, unless you work for a Doctor.

I don't mind at all. It might help to know that you can usually get needles and syringes at any feed/tack/vet supply shop. May be hard to find in a major city, but anywhere that there are horses or livestock will have those stores.

The disinfectant I buy through Reptile Basics. Here's the link:

http://www.reptilebasics.com/cleaning-products

I went right smack in the middle. I actually followed some advice for ball pythons on the placement. Most of the rest of the process I followed using the Loves' book. I'd be afraid that by going that far over on the body you'd end up in the wall of the oviduct or missing it or not all of the way in the egg.

I don't mind at all. It might help to know that you can usually get needles and syringes at any feed/tack/vet supply shop. May be hard to find in a major city, but anywhere that there are horses or livestock will have those stores.

The disinfectant I buy through Reptile Basics. Here's the link:

http://www.reptilebasics.com/cleaning-products

Thank You so much! I do live in the country so I will check out The Tractor Supply store. I buy Panicure there in large tubes sold for horses. Hopefully i won't need to use them, but I like having things on hand. Thanks for the link too! I have purchased from Reptile Basics before, they have great stuff.

Wow extremely well done and good luck to your girl, I hope she pulls through with flying colors. Shes pretty too!

Jessica:
If I can have an advise from you. I have a corn female that she mated around March 22. She laid her first egg about now two weeks ago and she had not laid any other. She is about to shed her skin again. I took her to a vet, not very experienced, and she gave her fluids, calcium, which she did not welcome, and antibiotics. Xrays shows her with a LOT and HUGE eggs. She is loosing body mass too fast, and look weak. I already spent $192 in that vet visit and just found an experienced vet which I think I might take her. Approximately how much a procedure like this cost? I might consider this just for the sake of her life. I will be sad if she passes away.
From one breeder I was told, she would absorb those eggs if she does not lay them? I dont belive this, is it true?
Any advise will be very appreciated and welcome.
Viragi

I would say a An experienced Vet is your Best bet at this point. Are there any eggs near the vent area??

Once she has laid an egg, the rest aren't going to be reabsorbed. Sometimes snakes will lay an infertile egg or two before the real clutch. And they can look quite thin right before laying, when the spine becomes sharp and the snake looks triangular. How many days has it been since her last shed? Can you talk to the vet and ask him to tell you what his steps to solve this problem would be, and the approximate cost? I know you can apply for a Care Credit card or something when you are at the vet and have an unexpected large bill. But I would think whatever happens would be under $500...Probably under $300. Just a guess.

OMG...yes, one feels one end a little hard..she is FULL of eggs from the mid down. I would like to attach the X-Rays but I do not know how to do it in this website.
Is that aspiration technique expensive? about how much?

nanci,

your in the ball park...I was qouted at $150.00 to $200.00 depending on where they are located.. Of course the vet that gave me that qoute, had no idea how to preform an aspiration.

Egg bound

:awcrap:I guess If after she sheds she does not lay her eggs i might shoot for the aspiration technique if the only experienced vet in Jacksonville FL...Dr. Rossi knows how to do it...I bet he does.
Thanks Jessica and Nanci for your advises. I am not in business as a breeder, so do not worry. This was one blooper we did not know about. We must have bought her pregnant already.

Nanci:
She shed about three weeks ago...laid that one egg and now she will shed again...Hopefully it will be what you said about the infertile egg.
Viragi.

Jessica:
If I can have an advise from you. I have a corn female that she mated around March 22. She laid her first egg about now two weeks ago and she had not laid any other. She is about to shed her skin again. I took her to a vet, not very experienced, and she gave her fluids, calcium, which she did not welcome, and antibiotics. Xrays shows her with a LOT and HUGE eggs. She is loosing body mass too fast, and look weak. I already spent $192 in that vet visit and just found an experienced vet which I think I might take her. Approximately how much a procedure like this cost? I might consider this just for the sake of her life. I will be sad if she passes away.
From one breeder I was told, she would absorb those eggs if she does not lay them? I dont belive this, is it true?
Any advise will be very appreciated and welcome.
Viragi

They an only reabsorb them before ovulation. At this point they must be passed. I don't know what a vet would charge to aspirate eggs. I'd recommend calling the vet and asking for an estimate.

I am not the most experienced breeder on here to comment. This is my first corn snake season. From what I've read after a couple of weeks the opportunity to aspirate dwindles as the eggs harden. Have you tried massaging them out? You can also try this:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1300238#poststop

Best wishes for your girl.

Thanks for your comments too Rich. I hope the vet could do that if after she sheds does not lay the eggs.
Good night!

Back