CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding without brumation...

Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Optreptiles
So the female's first shed of the year is the first sign to start introducing them to breed right? Or do they shed all year around when not brumated?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Nanci
They shed year 'round whether brumated or not, but I've noticed in my collection that the adults end up shedding about four times a year, and generally, although not on the exact same day, within several weeks of each other. The first shed of the new year is in February, for mine.

If you don't know when to start, a rule of thumb that has worked for me is, beginning with the female's first shed in the new year, put the snakes together every Sunday until they start to breed. That trickled down to me from Don Soderberg. I also only leave them together for 10-15 minutes, max of 60 before deciding they aren't ready yet.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
Reptileman81
I knew I had heard of people not brumating there corns and still breeding. I can remember as a teenager keeping a trio of adults together and without me doing anything they would breed and have viable eggs. This is good to know as I have a few I would like to breed next year, but they will not be ready if they brumate for a couple of months without food. So I think I will brumate the rest and not these guys and see what happens.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #14
ceduke
Hey! I was coming in here tonight to look for just this type of info! There is no good place in my home to brumate anyone, so I'm not planning to, but I do have a nice pair lined up for next season!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #15
carol
I have gone both ways, many, many times. I don't get better fertility when I brumate. I just get a nice break and it is easier for me to tell when my females are ready. Otherwise, I get the same results.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #16
wildlifephotographer
This is really good to know. I think I might skip brumation then since I do not have an ideal place to bramate them in the house. Was going to use my bedroom, which I keep warmer but maybe not since it wouldn't probably work that way.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
dave partington
the 300 gram AND 3 ft rule isn't a rule at all, in my book, after dealing with heartache and mis-hap. My personal rule is that SHE can pass SEVERAL (more than 14) weanling size rats. This tells me she's stretchy down there enough to pass a clutch of eggs successfully. Some of my females even pass all slugs, when unbred, and the following year, they are introduced to boypals. My eagerness brought on egg binding and worse results. Don't be impatient is my only advice here. But back to the subject of the thread, brumation or no, I've noticed non-brumated females produce smaller clutches, and tend to ovulate only once (in general) per year,
and I do not base (my) rules upon exceptions.

The other aspect which benefits my wallet is that a sleeping cornsnake X 44(number of cornsnakes here of adult breedable size) X 3 months saves me a ton of money & workload. But then I am still new to this cornsnake madness (my 3 yr anniversary of having cornsnakes was 3 days ago) so much has yet to reveal itself to me.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #18
Cornsnakeluver89
Can someone tell me how to do it step by step?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
Cornsnakeluver89
How do you breed without brumating? Plz step by step

Old 09-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
hypnoctopus
Nanci has a great thread about it in her personal forum. On the front page, scroll way down until you find Nanci's Snickersnakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google