• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

This year or wait?

She looks gravid in those pictures! Congrats Janine, Lacey just shed and has a few interested males, but shes just playing hard to get. Oh well...

Thanks Elle. Lacey is so gorgeous, and who is the planned father-to-be? (Am waiting patiently for Lacey's post-shed piccies!)

I'm getting so excited now, had to snap a quick picture of the mum-to-be

Attachments

• 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 149
I've tried to let Pearl crawl over my hands to feel the 'string of pearls' that's been described. Unfortunately she doesn't want to cooperate, just tries to bite me!

I read the tip about letting the snake crawl through an 'o' made by your thumb and fore-finger, and I could feel the lumps, at least 6! And I got a lovely surprise this morning, her pre-lay shed.

diamondlil said:
I read the tip about letting the snake crawl through an 'o' made by your thumb and fore-finger, and I could feel the lumps, at least 6! And I got a lovely surprise this morning, her pre-lay shed.
It won't be long now! :cheers: My girls have been laying between 9 and 11 days after the pre-lay shed.

Have had to come to work tonight (can't see 'my snake may lay her eggs' going down too well with management) with Pearl in her lay box, I can't wait!

Sorry if this ticks anyone off but I have to say it.

IMHO 300 grams is way to small! My female is 3 years old and is over 500 grams and this is the first time I'm attempting to breed her (she should lay any day now). If she was under 500, even by 10 grams I wouldn't have bred her. Breeding small and young snakes increases the risk of your snake getting egg bound, unhealthy/weak babies, and can stunt your snakes growth.

As far as I can tell 300g in a well toned, well-grown female is the acceptable norm before breeding.
In breedng there is always going to be a risk to the female but this is the first time I've heard of 500g being a more appropriate size. Where did this information come from Kevin?

I've heard this from breeders, its there opinion, but I've heard it from so many.

People who wait till there 500 grams usually get 25 clutch eggs, and double clutch, people who use smaller females get smaller clutches.

Regarding that link, yes that snake was probably packed with food, I bet it wasn't 3 years old. I not only would go by muscle tone, but by weight. What if a 100 gram snake had great muscle tone, would you breed it?

No because its only a 100 gram snake.

I wouldn't breed a 2 year old female that made it to 300 grams just on time. I would wait until the next year when she would probably be about 400/500 grams.

In saying that, I have an 05 lav female who was 300 grams a month ago, and she looked small. I swore I wouldn't breed her this year. Then she gained 70 grams and looks massive and shes been in with a male several times.

Never say never IMO.

Kevin McRae said:
I've heard this from breeders, its there opinion, but I've heard it from so many.
Who . . . are . . . "they" . . . ? :)

People who wait till there 500 grams usually get 25 clutch eggs, and double clutch, people who use smaller females get smaller clutches.
I have proof to the complete opposite. Same snake, same male each of 4 years. First 2 years at 300-400 grams, 18 & 23 eggs respectively. Last two years at 500+ grams, 7 eggs two years in a row. :shrugs: Not a 'fat' 500 grams either. :cool:

What if a 100 gram snake had great muscle tone, would you breed it?
Noone said a 100 gram snake with great muscle tone was okay to breed. 300 grams is the accepted 'standard'. In fact, if you read Kathy's first book, she includes stats from a breeding colony where the standard for breeding size is 260 grams and not 300 grams. Check it out, it goes against 300 being the standard as well AND it's supported with numbers and facts. :)

D80

PS. D'lil! Looking forward to egg pics!!

Pearl has been in and out of the lay box, I gave her a pep-talk before coming to work tonight, because I've charged up the camera batteries ready!

Heck, there are some female corns that will never even reach 500g unless they're allowed to become morbidly obese. I have a smallish '02 snow female that weighed 420g just before she laid this year. That's the heaviest she's ever been, and A LOT of the weight was eggs. Her peak weight before laying last year was about 400g. She laid 20 good eggs and no slugs last year, and double clutched with 10 good eggs and 2 slugs the same year (the second clutch was lost-- my fault). This year she just laid 22 good eggs and no slugs. She's not even 40" long, so I can't imagine what a tub of lard she'd be if she weighed 500g before she was even bred! :shrugs:

Back