CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Video tour of the facility

Old 07-11-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
dionythicus
Holy Crapola, Batman!! That's impressive. My husband said it looks like a library of snakes. I told him he's not far off! Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
Nanci
How could someone ever buy all that, and move it all???

Old 07-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
dprince
Holy crow...............no wonder you need to retire. Just watching the video makes me tired!!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Lynnea
I'm exhausted just seeing all those animals to care for--yikes!!

Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Rich Z
The point of the matter is that if you really want to produce that one out of a thousand animals, you NEED to produce a thousand animals to give yourself the odds of that taking place. You can't rely on just luck. If you want to work with triple hets, then it would be wise to plan on producing at least 64 babies from that project. Would you like the odds to be in your favor of producing a sexual pair of them? Then triple that number, at least. Will all of them eat or survive, or should you try to produce more of them, just in case? And that is all just for one project. How many projects do you want to do concurrently? How many such projects do you think you CAN realistically do?

Sorry, but as I learned (and you can see), you just can't play this game seriously unless you throw everything you have into it. To get where you would be with the resources shown in that video starting from scratch would cost you MANY times what I am wanting to sell my business for.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Stephen29
Great Video Rich ! I've been waiting a long time to finally get a glimpse of what the inside of SerpenCo looks like. What a lot of work that must be . I can't even imagine how you do it.

I had a quick question. Do the WHITE DOTS on the egg boxes represent each time a male was mated w/ the female that layed those eggs ? On a few boxes I think I saw a few that up to FOUR dots on them. How do you keep track of all that ?

I must admit it's a little sad that this is the last year of SerpenCo, but I can totally understand. Rich I hope you and Connie sell the remainder of your animals in a timely manner. Congrats on the Retirement.

Stephen Howard

Old 07-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
vetusvates
Thanks for the inside view, Rich. Quite an involved affair. My hat is off to you.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen29 View Post
I had a quick question. Do the WHITE DOTS on the egg boxes represent each time a male was mated w/ the female that layed those eggs ? On a few boxes I think I saw a few that up to FOUR dots on them. How do you keep track of all that ?

Stephen Howard
Each white dot on an egg incubating container indicates a single clutch within that box. I knew I was going to run short on shoe boxes as well as slots to put them in this year, so when I would get a "short" clutch, I would often double or triple them up to conserve space. There were two ways I selected clutches to be together in this manner. (1) The babies would be so different that there was little likelihood of confusing which babies came from which clutch, or (2) The genetic mix was identical so that the babies, no matter what they looked like would have the same genetic mix of parents.

Of course, there is always the chance of a real oddball hatching out that I wouldn't know which clutch it actually came from. But under the circumstances, it wasn't a significant risk.

Thanks....

Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #19
Calift
Great video....I enjoyed watching it and am very impressed by the organization!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #20
El Jefe
Wow Rich! Thanks for the peek!

I can't imagine all those rodent water bottles...never went to automatic watering?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google