CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Progression: Shadow the Eastern Indigo Snake

Old 09-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #41
Patmart
He sounds absolutely beautiful all over
Love the it that he got a pink mouth
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #42
DLena
Beautiful snakes. You made a really nice choice to add to your family. Nice variety! Shadow has such a serious expression for such a little guy.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #43
Karl_Mcknight
Shadow is adorable. I love black snakes and have been wanting a Mexican Black King for some time. They are very hard to find in my area.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #44
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
Beautiful snakes. You made a really nice choice to add to your family. Nice variety! Shadow has such a serious expression for such a little guy.
Thanks DLena. I've had a passion for this species for a long, long time, but everything had to fall in place to allow it to happen. He does look intense for sure. He has a confidence about him that belies his young age. He's an amazing representative of his species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Shadow is adorable. I love black snakes and have been wanting a Mexican Black King for some time. They are very hard to find in my area.
Thanks Karl. When he wrapped his tail on my finger my heart just melted.

I know someone in my local herp society that has a beautiful baby MBK from BHB in Michigan. I know he advertises some of his stuff on Fauna. I also know he bred them again this year. While not in your area, its not that far for shipping. Of course you'd need to consult with Rufus about the whole thing! The neat thing is that both eastern indigos and MBKs have tiny white speckles as babies. I don't think Tavia breeds them. If she does, she'd be my first choice of course.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #45
DollysMom
The rest of the story...

What I have not yet revealed about my sweet little black snake is that he doesn't eat on his own. The breeder was up front with me and spent two hours teaching me how to assist feed. So now, after a couple of successful assist feeds under my belt, I feel free to talk about it. The hardest part is getting the fuzzy in his mouth and he spit it out twice before we had success today.

I'm learning a few tricks as I go and am still at little hamfisted, but it will get better. Having the the fuzzy really, really wet is one of the tricks. Once he decides to eat it, he walks his little jaws right down the fuzzy on his own.

It is not unusual for young indigos to need assist feeding. All 8 of my breeder's hatchlings needed help. Some, like Shadow, eat well once the prey is far enough in his mouth. Other's were still actually being force fed. I saw that, too. I wasn't ready to tackle force feeding, but I figured it was time I stepped up my game and my snake skill set.

I am however, looking forward to the day when his feeding response kicks in!

He weighed in at 57 grams before feeding today. Forgive the mouse guts, please. I know these pictures aren't the best but I was holding the phone with my left hand and keeping him from wriggling off the table with my right hand.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #46
Patmart
Well done that sound like a nightmare
But I'm sure he get the idea
Hi has got the perfect mom to do the wright thing for him
Love your pictures
Pat

Old 09-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #47
DollysMom
Not a nightmare, but not the most fun I've ever had in snakekeeping, either. He's gaining weight and as I get better, I'll be able to feed him a little more per feeding. First feeding I got 3 grams into him and this time it was 4 grams. If I calculated that correctly its 7% of his body weight, so not too bad. Thanks for your kind and encouraging words, Pat!

Old 09-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #48
Patmart
That's great I weigh mine every 2 weeks
You they are alright when gain weight
It's nice to be able to watch him grow
Pat

Old 09-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #49
DLena
In the second picture, he could be saying, "nom nom nom, fank you MaMa. I'm werning how to do chompings."

Old 09-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #50
DollysMom
Exactly DLena. Once he starts he really seems to like eating. I think he thought it was even nommy-er with the guts spilling out, lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google