CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Housing Lots of Snakes

Old 07-20-2018, 03:26 AM   #1
Gemini8910
Housing Lots of Snakes

Don't worry, this isn't another "Can I put multiple in one tank???" thread.

I'm just wondering how those of you who have several snakes (like more than 5) keep them all?

The best solution I found was like a three stack terrarium set, which still seems like it would take up a lot of space, especially if you have to get more than one stack.

Just... those of you who breed/keep a lot of snakes, where do you find room in your house for all of them??

Old 07-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
67temp
In my den I basically have what I refer to as the "wall of snakes". They are 4' black wire shelves with 4 levels of tanks. With the 2 shelves side by side it's 8 feet long and can hold (12) 20 long tanks. Shelves are on casters for easy cleaning or acces to the back ot the tanks. Since this pic was taken I have replaced some of the 10's with 20l's, and fille din some of the holes. The other side of the room next to my gun safe I have another 4' wire shelf with snakes. Most of my colubrids are in this room and kept at a set ambient temp. I love walking into the room with the snakes out on display and being able to see who is out and active.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
Twolunger
Those of us with many snakes tend to use rack systems. I've bought racks, but have also made my own, that can hold 41 quart containers. Look on YouTube and search for cheap or inexpensive snake racks. You should find the video for building a rack using Home Depot shelves. I was lucky because they had the shelves on sale when I was there. Typical racks need vertical space, so take up little floor space. Having said that, most people with just a few snakes prefer vivariums and many are beautiful, but snakes have thrived in racks for many years, as long as they have hides, heat, food & water.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
blacktip
We used shelving similar to @67Temp for our 6 corn snakes. If we had continued to add to our collection we would have moved to a racking system.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Gemini8910
Thank you for sharing your setups! That really helps a lot! Depending on where I end up living once I get my own place and how many snakes I get I'll probably use a mix of both.

Right now I keep Lorenzo in a viv probably bigger than he needs with lots of decor because he's my only baby and I spoil him, but I know if I want more snakes I won't be able to afford that kind of thing for every single one.

If I can I think I'd like to do a shelf for favorites/the ones I plan on keeping for life, and racks for ones that I have for breeding or selling that I probably won't keep forever unless I have to. Seems a little cold to play favorites like that but I guess as long as they're all still happy and healthy it's alright?

Old 07-21-2018, 02:32 AM   #7
MysticExotics
When I started out, I had the black metal racks and glass tank setup, I transitioned to AP racks, which works out really well.

I use Rubbermaid Take Along bins for new hatchlings, I find they start eating more readily that way, and once they're established eating, I move them to the 6qt bins in my AP rack.
I have the 32/16 AP racks for juveniles and adults.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google