• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rescued Snake - please help

My females do the same thing just before they're about to lay (refuse food, then rest)
Did the vet xray earlier? I would have suspected they'd have done that.

Yes. The vet x-rayed to check on the injury, bone density, if she was gravid, etc. She had at least 7. Just heard back from the vet. She said to weigh her. If she's lost weight she reabsorbed the eggs, if she's the same or heavier we may have a problem.

She was definitely not happy about me taking her out today. Current weight is 433g. That's definitely weight loss, but is it due to re-absorption of eggs or less food and more activity?

sterlite bin stuffed with damp sphagnum (may add even more) with a hole in the lid. I can take a picture of one of my other ones. I don't want to lift the sheet unless I need to with her.

The vet is saying that she most likely is re-absorbing the eggs and should be fine but to keep an eye on her. If anything changes I'll let you all know. Thanks for all of the support and advice! If there is anything else I should be doing for her please let me know.

It's probably a blessing that she is re-absorbing the eggs. That is much preferable to becoming eggbound. The only thing I would do is make sure she gets lots of exercise.

I've read swimming and stair climbing work well. As I have no stairs nor tub, what are other forms would work well? I normally just let them slither around. I was looking into building an "exercise" enclosure for my crew but that won't be done for a while.

I had a bleached dead tree about 5 feet tall. My corns loved to climb up the branches. They would climb for hours. But you really had to watch them, as hawks would attempt
to swoop down and grab them, even with me sitting in a lawnchair near the tree. I have seen exercise climbers made from dowels. Someone posted one or two on this forum, and you use it indoors.

Thanks! Yours don't get mites from the tree or outside? I was thinking of something similar, but screened in (very well - reptibreeze style) so that I didn't have to worry about other critters attacking them while they were exploring outside and that I could bring as well. I'll have to look through the forum some more. Must have missed it.

No mites, and surprisingly the wild ones I caught didn't have mites. I've been thinking about building an outside exercise pen but haven't done it yet.

Awesome!! I've always been too worried about mites to try that. You may have dimished my fear a bit!

Back