CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

odd diy build question

Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Firefur
odd diy build question

hello every one. I ws thinking about building light weight wood cages and wanted to get some ideas. I was thinking of using 1/4inch plywood around a
1x2 or 1x4 frame for stability and support. ideas or is this way to light?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
TimeBomb
I built a 130gal setup for my mountain horned dragons out of 3/4 MDF and 2x2. I used PINE 2x2, so you dont want to do that. But I coated everything in oil-based deck sealer and then ran some .5mm plastic sheet in the bottom of the tank filled with coconut fiber.

It worked well for the MHD's, but the tank lasted around 3 years and then the MDF started to deteriorate. I decided against plywood simply because its been my experience that ply holds more "stink". Use non-treated hardwood to be safe, and build a little heavy to avoid deterioration.

-Travis

Old 06-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
backafter30
That 130g set up had to weigh a ton! I've built with 1/4" ply and 1/2 framing and been very happy. It's not too light (whatever that is). The weight does add up, but at least it can still be moved. Plus, it's surprisingly strong! I do recommend that idea.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
TimeBomb
I probably have a slightly construed concept of weight compared to the average person haha. I constructed it where it would stay, and when I moved it out of the house, I just strapped it to a moving dolly. But I have been doing construction/mechanics/fabrication since I was about 15, so unless bones break it's light enough to move

-Travis

Old 06-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
Bullelk
This link helped me. I used it as a guide and tweaked it how I wanted. https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/41-quart-rack.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google