CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Corns in the wild

Old 08-07-2018, 12:28 AM   #11
Twolunger
Well I'm bummed out. One of my sons found a wild hypo on the road not far from my house. He caught it, but had nothing to put it in, so let it go. Then on my bike ride yesterday I found a corn that was hit by a car or truck. It was about 16 inches long and had vivid red saddles with a pale silver background. What a beauty. There has to be some awesome corns right nearby. I'll keep looking.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #12
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Well I'm bummed out. One of my sons found a wild hypo on the road not far from my house. He caught it, but had nothing to put it in, so let it go. Then on my bike ride yesterday I found a corn that was hit by a car or truck. It was about 16 inches long and had vivid red saddles with a pale silver background. What a beauty. There has to be some awesome corns right nearby. I'll keep looking.
Wow! I'm jealous! I wish I had them in my area!

Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
Twolunger
I've seen some really awesome corns in my area, I say my area meaning within 10 miles of my house. You would expect the typical wild type, but I've seen so many morphs it makes you wonder if someone has turned loose their former pets. 3 years ago while walking with my wife I spotted what appeared to be a butter about 40 inches long. The only thing different comparing that one to a male I had was the saddles were a bit darker. I would have jumped into the brush to grab it, but I was just recovering from bypass surgery and my wife said no way is she allowing me to crash through the brush.
I found a dead ghost just a block from my house, so knew there were anerys and hypos in the area close by. Then my son found the hypo, and I the beauty dead on the road the other day. I go out nearly every day and it is just a matter of time before I find a really nice specimen.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
Rich Z
In some ways I do miss my snake hunting days. Not so much the "finding" as the "looking", I guess. Actually in the later years Connie and I wound up finding more plants to bring home and transplant than snakes.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
Twolunger
I've been driving out on some evenings trying to find the snakes before someone runs them over. I have to leave the bike home so someone doesn't run me over too. I swear Mr. Magoo is alive and well and driving a car down here.

I'm surprised that I don't see more king snakes around here. I've only seen one recently. I am seeing a lot more snakes now that the hogs have been eliminated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google