• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Oh nooo....

They do seem to move about more when laying slugs. I've found them all over the viv before now, when fertile eggs have only ever been in the laying box. As far as laying boxes are concerned, mine always go for smaller & snugger when given a choice.

I still don't think the slugs and refusal to settle are necessarily a bad sign. I think she's just not settled because she's producing slugs at the mo.

Everything crossed for you....

I have spoken to a couple of very experienced and reputable corn snake breeders who have told me not to worry. They can dump slugs before they lay a fertile clutch. I really hope this is the case.

It is common for a slug or two to be dropped soon after shedding, but as much as a week before the rest of the clutch is laid. Sorry, but clutches started that way are frequently high in infertile eggs, but this is NOT always the case. You can end up with a whole bunch of good eggs in a few!

Luck you!
KJ

Thanks guys. Shes not passed anymore eggs today. She has been roaming around all afternoon but shes just settled back into her laybox there. Theres no buldge near her vent so she dosent look bound or anything like that. I know boas lay slugs a week in advance of the actual litter. I guess this is just because it's my first time and im sooo worried. I would be over the freakin moon if I only get one healthy hatchling this year. Anything more would be a real bonus because theres at least 10 people on the waiting list for this clutch LOL

Tell me about it Nanci... I was in tears this morning when I found the other two slugs. "The wee dead baby snakes inside... it's all my fault... wahhhhh"

There aren't baby snakes- those are unfertile. Don't think of them like babies (says the person who couldn't eat her hen's eggs for the longest time, even though there was no rooster on the farm...)

Elle, now listen to me. Sit down and count to 10 in metric. You'll feel better and so will the poor snake you keep pestering.

Tell me about it Nanci... I was in tears this morning when I found the other two slugs. "The wee dead baby snakes inside... it's all my fault... wahhhhh"

ahhh Elle... you poor thing. I just went through the same thing with my big Mexican Black King.... Slugs... one at a time. I feel for ya darlin. Once they all passed, I was just happy that my girl was okay and passed them all without difficulty (other than my personal worry).

There aren't baby snakes- those are unfertile. Don't think of them like babies (says the person who couldn't eat her hen's eggs for the longest time, even though there was no rooster on the farm...)

LOL.. Nanci, thats hysterical :D You crack me up!

My daughter and I cut open the first two slugs we got. and I gotta say - Nanci is right. No sign at all of anything resembling an embryo. So what was that 6 hour hook up anyway? Recreation?? I think my male was secretly fixed. Men!!

Good Luck Elle - let us know how she fares!! I do hope you get a few fertile ones!!

-Tonya

Elle, now listen to me. Sit down and count to 10 in metric. You'll feel better and so will the poor snake you keep pestering.

Oh no no I'm not pestering her, just looking in the box...It's covered by a towel so she can't see any movement from the outside. Im just soooo worried about her :(

Oooh come on Lacey, stop scaring your Momma and lay those eggs like a good girl :)

Elle, I've got just about everything I can get crossed, crossed for a successful laying (that is without breaking any bones...lol)

Good luck and best wishes, you're in my thoughts ;)

Thank you so much Susie, I cannot tell you how much I have appreciated your support throughout this whole escapade. No egglets or slugs this morning but shes back in the laybox. No doubt she will be out in 10 minutes just to annoy me.

Elle sorry to read about Lacey's predicament hope all comes good for her soon .
My solution to this stressful time is quite simple Lots of fags and plenty COFFEE or a bottle of Vodka but the first helps more now that i don't drink , helps relieve the stress .
AJ

Elle, just try to leave her alone. I check nest boxes on females that are due to lay just once a day...a quick look and that's it! You're going to drive yourself crazy and constantly checking her will just stress her out. You may think you're not disturbing her, but she knows you're there...watching. How would you feel if you were trying to make a really big poop and someone was on the other side of the bathroom door, waiting and listening, and even occasionally peeking in? (insert toilet smilie here)

How would you feel if you were trying to make a really big poop and someone was on the other side of the bathroom door, waiting and listening, and even occasionally peeking in? (insert toilet smilie here)

Oh man, that's sooo not a picture I needed in my head!

Sorry to hear she's still giving you the runaround Elle.

My solution to this stressful time is quite simple Lots of fags and plenty COFFEE or a bottle of Vodka but the first helps more now that i don't drink , helps relieve the stress .
AJ

I have smoked a zillion fags since I found that first slug.

No more eggs this afternoon. And shes not in her laybox. I have only checked her once this morning and I will not look in until tomorrow. I'm being so good :)

I won't start to panic until friday...

AJ

For the snake or for Elle?

:laugh01:

Anyway, I'm wishing you and your snake luck, Elle.

Back