CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Bioactive vs. Traditional Vivariums

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
JustinOfCO
Question Bioactive vs. Traditional Vivariums

I'm slowly getting closer to actually starting to build my terrarium/vivarium setup. I've been doing a lot of reading on various enclosures, substrates, heating methods, and all the other necessities for keeping a corn snake happy. Something I ran across that I am really intrigued by, and tempted by, are bioactive substrates and vivariums.

I have been trying to weigh the pros and cons of going bioactive versus traditional aspen or other bedding. I am very tempted to try bioactive, since I have kept aquariums in the past and am comfortable with the idea of a tiny ecosystem that helps keeps the overall environment healthier for the occupants. I also love the natural look, and idea of live plants within the enclosure (fake plants just always look, well, fake to me. Especially since I have a LOT of live houseplants already). Having little helpers to take care of small bits of waste that aren't taken care of by regular spot cleaning and a potential for a higher humidity output are also pluses for me. As is the potential reduction in full substrate changes. And isopods. Because I have always had a soft spot for roly-polys.

Naturally a lot of the reading I have done has been very pro-bioactive, and I know there are cons. Higher upfront costs, more trouble should the tank need to be torn down and sanitized for health reasons, corns sometimes have a tendency to decimate live plants, etc. So I wanted to open up discussion to those of you who know way more than I do, and get some varying opinions on the subject. Especially since, of all the things I've searched here, this is the one subject I seem to have found scant little on.

So bioactive yes or no? Something halfway in-between (such as a more replaceable substrate with potted plants)? I'd love to hear your experiences!

Tags
bioactive, newbie, pros-cons, terrarium, vivarium