• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

CornSnakes Forum on Tapatalk!!! Thank you, Rich!!!!!

Rich- besides the forum, lots of us here are in frequent contact by texts throughout the day and evening! I'm not a phone person either but it's great being able to text cool snake feeding pics or herping pics or whatever, spur of the moment, without having to take a picture, DL it onto a computer, process it, upload it to the forum or Facebook or whatever. A smart phone is the coolest thing ever.

Well, here's the email I sent to my programmer as well as his reply.

Date: 8/26/2011 , Time: 12:36 PM, Author: Rich Zuchowski:

> Hi Sinan,
>
> Like it or not, it appears that these mobile handheld devices that
> people are using to tap into the internet are here to stay. Personally
> I don't use them myself, but I'm getting quite a few people asking me to
> implement easier ways for them to participate in my forums using those
> devices. I doubt I am the only one facing this sort of pressure.
>
> Have you had to dive into this yourself with your own sites or those of
> your clients? I don't think I can continue telling people I WON'T
> implement it without it starting to hurt membership in the very near
> future. Of course, my caveat will be that any problems they have with
> that sort of interface will have to be their own problem, as I do not
> have any way to resolve such issues, much less see the problems they are
> talking about myself.
>
> I guess this is what dinosaurs felt like seeing all those new fangled
> little mammals running around all under foot....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich Z

Hi Rich,

I don't remember if we discussed it before but we had a VERY bad experience
with tapatalk in one of my clients site. It had a security issue and his
board is hacked multiple times and we had very hard time until we figure
out tapatalk was the culprit. So basically I don't trust that application
at all. But if you still want to install it, it is your call, I can install
it for you, it is np.

In my own site, a lot of people (including my mods) use mobile devices but
nearly all mobile devices are capable of loading vb boards so no one
complains about that. One of them had an issue with javascripts disabled
due to vb's default setting and I enabled it since all mobile devices can
handle javascript now so there is no complaints till then. I'm not sure
what your members are complaining about. Whatever device they use, it is
suppose to browse your board fine (maybe excluding large images/attachments
but even tapatalk might not handle these images anyway). Besides last time
I check tapatalk was selling its pluggin to mobile users so even though its
free your end, its not so in their ends.

My suggestion would be trying to learn what kind of problem they are
experiencing in mobile devices and try to fix that if possible on our
style. If this is not possible, considering vb4 upgrade can also be an
option since vb4's latest versions comes with builtin mobile skin. And
tapatalk would be in the last of order of my to-do list but as I mentioned
before, decision is yours.

BTW. I'll be away away from town for 8-9 days for vacation starting
tomorrow. If you sent an email, I might not reply until I'm back, FYI.

Best,
Sinan

Rich- besides the forum, lots of us here are in frequent contact by texts throughout the day and evening! I'm not a phone person either but it's great being able to text cool snake feeding pics or herping pics or whatever, spur of the moment, without having to take a picture, DL it onto a computer, process it, upload it to the forum or Facebook or whatever. A smart phone is the coolest thing ever.

I guess it's just me, but there is no one in this world that I might want to talk to that it can't wait till I get home. And there is also no one on this earth that I want to call me while I may be away from home, eating dinner, walking through the mall, or just driving too and from somewhere. They can leave a message on my answering machine, and I trust the world will not end before I can get home to answer that call.

I think more and more people are just getting into the habit of getting into their car and cranking up their cell phone to call someone because they are bored driving and have some time to kill. Heck, Connie gets calls from one of her sisters like that. The conversation starts when her sister gets in the car, and ends when she reaches her destination. Kind of makes you feel that you get a phone call ONLY when that person really has nothing better to do.... And talking to you is just slightly better than driving listening to the radio.

Quite honestly, those people who use a mobile phone, and ESPECIALLY send and receive text messages, while driving, are just being, well gray matter challenged, and endangering everyone else on the road around them. Being distracted while driving is likely the number one cause of accidents, and NO ONE can convince me that you are not distracted while having a discussion while driving. I seriously doubt that 99 percent of the conversations that take place while driving are even close to being worth the risk of having an accident while doing so.

(But I _am_ using it in that manner at home!) Or out at the Water Garden! I hate getting phone calls at any time, much less when I'm driving...

It's not that there is a "problem" for me to browse CS on my iPhone. Tapatalk lists all the forums I subscribe to, eg TipB, Ian's Vivarium, Pitbull Forum, RFUK, etc. I select the forum out of the list and it provides a list of say, unread threads, in a streamlined list. When I open a thread, the text is sized to the screen, without having to scroll, and the images are thumbnails that I can click on to see the full-size picture. It's just nice, not essential.

It's just a way of quickly browsing a forum, without having to actually open it in a browser like Safari, and scroll around or have to pinch it to mag it up to where I can actually see it.

But if your guy says it has security issues, then obviously that is bad. But possibly he could check with forums that are running it and see if they are still experiencing security issues.

I realize I have less of a social/family life than most. But I still do not like to be tied to my laptop, at my desk. I want to have all my "stuff," the Internet, Cornsnakes.com, Facebook, Google, weather, Hurrican tracking, digital books and magazines, etc. wherever I am! out in the living room, outside, at Daytona, at work, at my friends' houses. The iPhone and iPad, or whatever device on uses, untethers you from your desk. You are connected no matter where you are.

I _did_ leave my phone in the car when I was at the beach with Carol and Heather, though :)

Hey Nanci. Why don't you forward Sinan's concerns to the support group at Tapatalk. They may have had issues early on but have since fixed them. I can't believe 10,000 sites would be using it if it was not secure.

I would do it but I am away from home.

Hey Nanci. Why don't you forward Sinan's concerns to the support group at Tapatalk. They may have had issues early on but have since fixed them. I can't believe 10,000 sites would be using it if it was not secure.

I would do it but I am away from home.

I wanted to jump in and say with pride "I am a member of the Squinty Generation!" Lol

That being said, with my iphone, I generally turn the phone around so that I can read webpages a little better. It's a pain having to zoom in and out and scroll all the time. However, when I get into debates with friends, having the web in my pocket helps out greatly. I usually win my point better that way. Lol

I'll be honest though. I really don't know or understand Tapatalk. Same with Cloud networks or whatever they are. *shrug*

I would be willing to wait for a vb4 upgrade. Granted, it might take a year or two due to financial availability on this forum, but I am willing to wait! I think that might be less risky than using a possibly unsecure interface.

Well Rich, you're not the only dinosaur around here, and are in fact less of a dinosaur than I am as I personally do not own a cell phone. Hubby has one, but I really have no use for one. I am not one to chit chat on the phone. If I have to make a call, it is for a reason and messages are short and to the point. I use the phone more at work simply because I have to. I have my computer at home and at work that I can use in my free time (30 minute lunch). I am not that addicted to communicating with others that I can't survive the rest of the day without it.

And as for the use of cell phones while driving...that needs to be made illegal, the police force tripled and the law enforced to the fullest! I don't even like to hold a conversation with someone else in my car while I'm driving! I really hate it when my husband starts pointing out all sorts of things out and then gets angry when I say "No, I did NOT see ____ because I'm concentrating on the road and traffic!"

Hey kids, off the grass!

I am an evolved dino-bird-a-herptile

I have a smart phone but I do not feel tied to it. I rarely surf the web on it use it mostly for email, text, and phone calls. I don't even have a hard line anymore so the only calls are on my phone. Web surfing and all that web-based stuff is my laptop or desktop.

Well that settles it. We have established that the dino's that either don't have a cell phone or are not using their cell phone for anything other than a paperweight make up an insignificant fraction of one percent of the almost 16k members of this forum.

BTW, did I mention that Tapatalk would lend itself amazingly well to FaunaClassifieds. And people using Tapatalk for FC would have to JOIN to make full use of the features. That would mean MORE members.

Rich: Your programmer sounds like the ones I work with... "You just don't understand. It's complicated!"

Well that settles it. We have established that the dino's that either don't have a cell phone or are not using their cell phone for anything other than a paperweight make up an insignificant fraction of one percent of the almost 16k members of this forum.

BTW, did I mention that Tapatalk would lend itself amazingly well to FaunaClassifieds. And people using Tapatalk for FC would have to JOIN to make full use of the features. That would mean MORE members.

Rich: Your programmer sounds like the ones I work with... "You just don't understand. It's complicated!"

I have FULL confidence in my programmer and trust his judgment. He's been working with vBulletin for a VERY long time. Apparently he has also corresponded with the folks at Tapatalk to try to get the security issues resolved but found them to be non cooperative. He has absolutely nothing to gain by steering me away from a problem for my sites, and actually it would be in his best interests to talk me INTO something of this nature because it would mean MANY more hours (that I would be paying for) for him to be troubleshooting my sites when things went sour. So he is most definitely looking out for my (and most of the members here) best interests. Surely no one here would like to see this site go belly up because an insecure module allowed hackers to perhaps irretrievably damage this site?

BTW, your statistical analysis logic apparently needs some work. Surely you don't believe that all 16K registered members on this site have viewed this thread and made public comment on it. Even a dinosaur recognizes statistics that are made with fudged numbers. ;)

And actually I DO understand. I have a background in programming, which my vBulletin programmer is fully aware of.

Since I'm a dinosaur with a love for gadgets, I just ordered pizza from my iPad, sitting out at the Water Garden. No personal interaction with humans or, God forbid, phone conversation required! Now I can track it right from here, too. I think I will browse the latest digital edition of Wine Enthusiast while I'm waiting.

Did I mention I hate being tethered to a PC or big bulky laptop?

Nothing has changed concerning my previous statements concerning this issue, I am afraid.

I know you stated nothing has changed, but still wanted to voice my opinion as being heavily in favor of having a mobile friendly forum of some sort (even if it's a mobile web version)

Back