• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Breeding Mice

3330PHILIP

Hi, I've been thinking about breeding mice for my snakes. Now, i've never done it before. Does it matter what breed/type of mice i breed?? My local petstores have loads of mice except your normal, standard brown mice. Some have fancy names and colours. They're all roughly same price (£3-£6 english pounds). also, How can i tell if i'm buying a male and female? When can mice breed, in terms of their age? All help will be greatly appreciated!
Regards

look for the biggest mice* i had to go and buy these tiny mice, gonna take a while until they get fat and explode with babies

Mice reach sexual maturity at different times, Females at 6 weeks and males at 8 weeks. NO its doesn't matter if you breed 2 different color domestic mice. As for sexing them. If the space between their anus and urethra are farther then its a male. Where as its shorter in females. If you don't know what mice are what at the pet store are, ask for so many females and so many males. Its not hard to breed mice. But you do have to take into account they breed better in lower temps, and on a light schedule of 12:12. And sometimes you won't see them having babies for some time. So don't get frustrated. Just give them some time.

You have any more questions just ask.

MightyNutteR said:
look for the biggest mice* i had to go and buy these tiny mice, gonna take a while until they get fat and explode with babies

also remember bigger mice are not always good. As they could be reaching their peak in having babies.

Baba-Lou said:
Mice reach sexual maturity at different times, Females at 6 weeks and males at 8 weeks. QUOTE]

Baba-Lou is right about them reaching sexual maturity at different times. One of my female mice became pregnant before she was even 4 weeks old.

and this is because some of us accidently mis-sex our mice, forget to take out wenalings, and because some mice just et horney before they know it. lol

Cool, that clears that up. So should i ask for 1 male and say 2 or 3 females? is that enough/plenty? How long till they give birth and what do i do when they are born?

1 male and 3 females is fine, but be sure to have a tank or cage big enough for them. You won't be expecting babies from 19-21 days. and what ever you do. do not oogle over the babies and leave them alone for 3 days. This give the mother stress if you oogle over them and may eat her babies if you go and touch and play with them during those first few days.

Thanks. So how long does it take for them to become fuzzies? Should i offer them alive to my snakes? How many will be born? If i want to save them for another feeding, should i drown them or just put them in freezer??? i don't want to sound morbid, i'm just learning...!

It'll take roughly 5 days till they get to fuzzies. NO never offer them live to the snakes. Between 5 and 10 can be born, I don't know because it depends on the mice, one of my females gives me between 10 and 15. If your going to save them for another feeding put them in the freezer in an air tight bag. As for euthanising thme i suggest using a CO2 Chamber method. and then bagging them and putting them in the freezer. heres a helpful link for a CO2 method.

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

Thanks alot. Think thats all i need to know for now. You've been a great help and thanks for putting up with the questioning!!

:laugh01: That was great! Sorry, just had to laugh at that. I know she likes her mice, but not THAT much.:grin01:

just had to jump in here and ask a question i have just brought my first lot of mice. both females are heavely bareing young. if i only want pinkys hsould i just take out the young straight away? or leave a dday or two?

Back