CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Forum members moving items out of general chat

Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
ComoxCorn
I don't really have a problem that a forum owner can move a thread. But when threads get posted in "general chit-chat" that are bound to draw negative reactions, perhaps the OP might want to consider using their own forum to post the original thread in the first place. That way, if people start sounding off and the forum owner doesn't like the way the thread is progressing, they have the right to lock it up. JMO

Old 01-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
wade
That is a good point. The moving of a thread should not be used to censor discussions you don't like.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Susielea
I can understand the need/want to move certain threads into your own personal forum, but what gets really irritating is when it gets moved to a personal forum, then moved back out to the general forums, then back into the personal forum and back and forth like that several times, just because the person doesn't like the way it is going. I've only ever seen one member do this back and forth, back and forth type of thing and that has been very recent.

KJ the person that I believe was the catalyst for starting this thread, was actually gifted their personal forum, they didn't actually pay for it themselves, so I feel that in a way they've been abusing the priviledge, if it's the person I'm thinking of.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susielea View Post
I can understand the need/want to move certain threads into your own personal forum, but what gets really irritating is when it gets moved to a personal forum, then moved back out to the general forums, then back into the personal forum and back and forth like that several times, just because the person doesn't like the way it is going. I've only ever seen one member do this back and forth, back and forth type of thing and that has been very recent.

KJ the person that I believe was the catalyst for starting this thread, was actually gifted their personal forum, they didn't actually pay for it themselves, so I feel that in a way they've been abusing the priviledge, if it's the person I'm thinking of.
Exactly. I tend to agree with KJUN that sometimes it might be warranted, and it's not against site rules, and that if people paid for the ability to do it, then c'est la vie. But we've never had anyone play around with that ability before--perhaps that's because all the other forum owners are grown-ups who did, in fact, buck up and pay for the privilege, rather than having it handed to them by someone else.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susielea View Post
Ahhhh. Thanks. I really didn't know WHO it was. I just knew it wasn't me......lol. If they are moving it back and forth, then even I say they might be bending the rules. Now I know more of the background.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
snakewispera snr
The moving of threads doesn't really bother me.... They still show up if you press New post and every one can do it... Even new members, can move posts about as long as they started them.....
Locking them is what gets to me.......

Old 01-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Which is what the moving facilitates, right? And the moving of threads to a personal forum also strengthens the threat of locking the thread, which I've also seen bandied about more than from paying forum owners.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Susielea
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
The moving of threads doesn't really bother me.... They still show up if you press New post and every one can do it... Even new members, can move posts about as long as they started them.....
I don't think new members, without contributer status, can move their own threads or posts about, I don't believe they even have editing privileges either. Now contributors can edit, but I didn't know they could move their threads around as well, I thought that was for personal forum owners and moderators/admin only, but I could be wrong, I've never tried moving a thread I've started, so I can't say for sure

Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
crackerhead
I can move stuff???? Oooowww, I'm feeling somewhat omnipotent right now! LOL Now all I need to do is start a controversial, juvenile or soap operaesque thread.

Terri

Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
I can move stuff???? Oooowww, I'm feeling somewhat omnipotent right now! LOL Now all I need to do is start a controversial, juvenile or soap operaesque thread.

Terri
I've always had the nagging feeling that you may just be omnipotent anyway. I've never had the cajones to challenge...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google