CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Testing for Stargazing

Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #61
nmoore601
Bloody baroness

People making an effort to control SG is what's trying to be done. I for one believe if you love corns and have SK in your collection you should have gazer free SK for sale only or atleast be testing your stock.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #62
BloodyBaroness
You are missing my point. People are testing... but there is NO possible way to fully eradicate it.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #63
nmoore601
Out won't happen over night. SK and all morphs containing SK need to be breed to a homo SG preferably a het SG will work. You can see the clutch requirements to achieve certain percentages. It will prevent you from making any profit of you SK projects until you have proven what your SK carry. Example SG or not. All babies can't be sold from the gazer tests as that would only make the problem worse. You can donate them to others on the forum for their testing. If you read this entire thread you get how we are trying to eliminate carriers of SG.

The people that have a positive take on this are the ones who are going to make a difference.

Some folks will just not care and want other people to fix the problem. Kinda like how Obama has done our country.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #64
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoore601 View Post
Out won't happen over night. SK and all morphs containing SK need to be breed to a homo SG preferably a het SG will work. You can see the clutch requirements to achieve certain percentages. It will prevent you from making any profit of you SK projects until you have proven what your SK carry. Example SG or not. All babies can't be sold from the gazer tests as that would only make the problem worse. You can donate them to others on the forum for their testing. If you read this entire thread you get how we are trying to eliminate carriers of SG.

The people that have a positive take on this are the ones who are going to make a difference.

Some folks will just not care and want other people to fix the problem. Kinda like how Obama has done our country.
You are not getting it.
Gazer won't EVER be eradicated completely, no matter how long it takes.
Testing is nice, but there is no law that mandates it. And even if everyone tested, the gene STILL would not be eradicated.
What part of recessive don't you understand?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #65
nmoore601
I understand recessive. If you breed to a homo to a ph SG what is the outcome? Since you understand recessive you should be able to figure out. That proves if your stock is a carrier. Really?!?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #66
starsevol
Quote:
I understand recessive. If you breed to a homo to a ph SG what is the outcome? Since you understand recessive you should be able to figure out. That proves if your stock is a carrier. Really?!?
Righttttt, since sunkissed has been bred into EVERYTHING, how about all the amels, anerys, charcoals, lavas, lavenders, hypos, etc that carries the gazer gene but not the sunkissed?
No way to police it or put the genie back in the bottle.
Testing is nice, but it won't end it.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #67
airenlow
Quote:
Can I get the secret password, PRETTY PLEASE?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #68
starsevol
The ONLY way to eradicate this gene is to test every single snake in the world that is of breedable age. Every single person even considering to breed would need a male and a female gazer to test with before they can do anything.
How are you going to see that this happens?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #69
dave partington
Has anyone here ever put 2 snakes together that contained the same homo&hets and not hit the target? I know I have. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 breedings. Should we test all of our stock for 2-3 seasons?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #70
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
Has anyone here ever put 2 snakes together that contained the same homo&hets and not hit the target? I know I have. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 breedings. Should we test all of our stock for 2-3 seasons?
Excellent point, DP!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google