CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Testing for Stargazing

Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #71
Nanci
But- those who want gazer-free breeding animals certainly have the means to test for it, and the means to maintain pedigrees, and the ability to offer gazer-free stock to anyone who thinks that is important, or not a moot point.

It reminds me of adenovirus in bearded dragons. No way to stop it now, but you can maintain a colony that is free from it, if you are motivated. At least there is a method to test for _that_. (Electron microscope).

Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #72
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
But- those who want gazer-free breeding animals certainly have the means to test for it, and the means to maintain pedigrees, and the ability to offer gazer-free stock to anyone who thinks that is important, or not a moot point.
Well said Nanci !!
This is pretty much the reason why I decided to start testing, to be able to offer gazer free Sunkissed combo morphs, nothing else.

Believe me, I understand what alot are saying here in that it will never be eradicated from the cornsnake world and I know it won't, but I will have piece of mind knowing that I can offer gazer free Sunkissed morphs to people that do care about it.........the ones that don't care pretty much get a bouns.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #73
BloodyBaroness
That's what I'm saying.

Test, test, test. If you are working with SK morphs, breeders should do what they can to ensure a low chance of any gazers getting out.

Then again records can be faked for the sake of touting a gazer free line. There is NOTHING to stop someone from lying.

We have to do our best and trust the ethics of the breeders.

There is no possible way to ever ensure gazer is gone. For every Walter, Tara, Heather and the others, there are 50 more "breeders" not testing. What are you going to do about the guy that grabs two corns because they are pretty, breeds them, then sells those babies?

There are 1,000's possibly 10's of 1,000's of snakes that will keep on being bred and never tested.

Gazer is here to stay and those who care are testing and doing what they can. No amount of crusades, back patting, horn blowing, theory-scaping, finger pointing, name calling, blame casting, preaching, teaching, or chest thumping will clear it out of the lines. Period.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #74
crackerhead
I agree with testing. I'm pretty sure I stated that in the very first line of my original post. I try to only buy stock from breeders that test and I test myself. So I'm already on board.
The thing I am questioning is the thought that we should assume some semblance of control. With the sheer volume of animals produced by non-testing facilities alone, I see it as a daunting task not unlike the finger in the dike scenario. Even so I don't espouse turning a blind eye to the problem.
For those that think the general public really wants SG free snakes, I question this based on my own experience in trying to sell them. Connie and Chuck have been testing for years. They have offered proven gazer free animals. The sad part about that is that very few people appreciate the effort involved in this undertaking and even fewer want to pay for the results. I have had a stunning gazer free male SK on my table at every show since Tinley (at least two shows a month every month). Chuck gave it to me to sell; a way to test the market for such animals. People have purchased other SK animals before the Gazer Free simply on price alone. We are talking a $15-$20 difference; sad really. Sure there should always be a choice and eradication is a noble goal. I just don't see SG going away based on those few hobby breeders doing their due diligence by testing. I hope I'm just being pessimistic.

Terri

Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #75
nmoore601
Everyone gas some great points. I want offer gazer free. I agree with most of the posts. I'm not the best writer and come off as a prick I'm sorry. I can talk in person or the phone fine. I am glad to have meet new members meaning new to me. I hope to have some future dealings with you all. if anyone was offended I'm sorry. I can't express emotion with words via typing. Hope all of you have an excellent season. Look forward to more interesting topics!

Well I have eggs to collect.

Walter the honey started ovulating, so I let her have a go with a gazer! It's a start.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #76
stephen
Well

If Stargazering acts as a recessive gene as I was told it does,breeding a Homo x Het You definetly wont get the results you think or the results that supposed to be.As anyone who has been breeding corns for awhile will/should know. Lets say you are selling stargazer free sunkisseds because you bred a homo stargazer to your sunkissed possable het stargazer and didnt get any stargazers that hatched out,sorry that doesnt mean your Sunkissed is stargazer clean not by a long shot. So please explain how exactly this test works please. And please dont state thats what I heard or read, facts only.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #77
nmoore601
If you look back a few pages you can see how it works . Walter posted a spread from the pretzels. I'm not here to do the math for you, you seem to be knowledgable to figure it out. There is also a corn calculator. If you were not demanding us to show you something you may get what it is you desire.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #78
ghosthousecorns
I guess the main issue I have with test breedings with stargazers is that there are so many het gazer babies produced in these testings that later have to either be euthanized or rehomed (trusting that the new owner will NOT breed them and further propagate the defect to more corns down the road)
While testing is never going to be 100% it is not a bad idea for someone who wants to specialize in sunkissed stuff to test. I will admit if I were wanting to work with sunkissed I'd look for a breeder who tested their stock.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #79
nmoore601
That's right this is for folks who breed SK and SK morphs. The babies can be donated I am in dire need of home SG females to complete testing my males. I have gazer free lines. So any SK offered from me will be from my tested lines. The babies homo and het will be easily taken by breeders who need them for testing, good point. Nice point.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #80
stephen
s/g

I believe its a good idea to (try) and test for startgazing. I dont believe the tests are going to be accurate so one can say yes I tested my animals for stargazering, but not they are clean or free from stargazering.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google