CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

possible new morph? You decide

Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #51
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded_Heart View Post
well let's look at the bigger picture. if ALL of the wild population carried Amel and Anery, you would run into visual Amels and Anerys AND snows in the wild ALL the time because obviously all these het animals would be breeding in the wild.

Since this DOESN'T happen (once in a blue moon someone will find an anery in the wild) it's pretty safe to say that that claim is very presumptuous and unlikely at best.
I could be wrong here, but I seem to remember that it was Bernard Betchel who discovered the first amel corn back in 1963 in Florida. I also remember reading that that male is the ancestor of over 90% of the amel corns alive today. If I am wrong, someone please correct me but I don't think I'm wrong.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #52
pheonix
Maybe he is seeing those genes as what they look like, not as what they don't. So he sees amel as red/orange and anery as grey/black. But he doesn't think of them like we do, which is amel = lacking black and anery = lacking orange. In that sense, a normal can be amel and anery. (i'm not saying it is, i'm just saying that might be how he is looking at it) Because normals have the oranges and the blacks. So by his visual deffinition they have amel and anery.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #53
crotalis40741
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries View Post
Shiari the thing is even though snow does not show in the pic believe me its there. This is a result of 3 years of hard research and trial by breeding. I will post pics after they have shed. By shear definition a true kentucky normal is a combo of both amel and anery. Typically showing an prodominately orange corn with heavy black around the saddles and a checkered belly. I kbow because i have a wc kentucky normal in my collection. I have worked dillegently to document and breed my corns for this reason. The cube pattern is a result of combining the stripe/ motley pattern together. It took 1 year to produce at least a 20% clutch of.them

Where are you getting your information that a true ky normal is amel and anery? I have never seen one. Also know a few folks that have bred the snakes from w/c parents and never got anything besides pretty normals.
The main difference in Ky. corns is they are a heavier snake, have fewer dorsal saddles and are seldom found on trees like thier Florida kin.
There are very few populations of wild corns here in the Bluegrass. But are some very nice looking animals when you can find one.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #54
dave partington
Aries, I suspect we'll be craving for some pictures, in good or natural lighting, after the shedding is past.

I've always been excited by an excited hornets nest.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #55
crotalis40741
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
Aries, I suspect we'll be craving for some pictures, in good or natural lighting, after the shedding is past.

I've always been excited by an excited hornets nest.

Thanks for sharing.
I am allergic lol ewww bees

Old 10-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #56
bitsy
Quote:
By shear definition a true kentucky normal is a combo of both amel and anery.
I suspect the logic being used is that Amel gives orange and Anery gives black, therefore a Normal must be a combination of both as it has oranges and blacks.

However, with these morphs, it's the colour which is taken away which is significant. Amels are Normals with the black taken away. Anerys are Normals with the orange taken away. These morphs are the Normal with certain colours taken away. You can't reverse the equation so that Anery and Amel can be "added together" to give Normals.

It's just an accidental and incorrect switch in the way we look at how morphs behave.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #57
dave partington
Quote:

This is probabably true. I've met Bob and chatted with some of his friends who dont post on the site itself much. . . . . So I can't contain myself any longer.

What's the shear definition of a kentucky cornsnake then? The true kind.

Ouch, think I split a hair.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #58
Jaded_Heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
I could be wrong here, but I seem to remember that it was Bernard Betchel who discovered the first amel corn back in 1963 in Florida. I also remember reading that that male is the ancestor of over 90% of the amel corns alive today. If I am wrong, someone please correct me but I don't think I'm wrong.
if this is the case, then that would mean this one solitary animal was found and the gene was pretty much sourced from that single find.

Meaning: Amel is NOT common in the wild corn snake population. it's actually incredibly rare.

this backs up the idea that it would be very very INCORRECT to make a statement like "all wild Kentucky corn snakes are amel / carry amel" without first doing extensive breeding trials and keeping good records to document the proving of this

Old 10-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #59
bitsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
Quote:

This is probabably true.
Erm... It's arguably true (and I honestly wouldn't know so will have to take your steer) that Kentucky Normals carry hets for Amel and Anery more commonly than Normals from other areas. But no Normal Corn is a combo of Amel and Anery. "Normal" isn't made up of other morphs added together.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #60
dave partington
So you'll acquire a locality w/c KY cornsnake male you suspect to be of the recessive genotypes, breed it to her, hold back all the female offspring, raise them up, breed them back to the w/c male, and see how many anery and amel you extract from the pairing. Not saying it couldn't happen. Just because a het or homo amel or anery was found somewhere else doesn't mean your specific locality KY corns aren't carrying that. Or maybe you'll discover/find/isolate a new gene/trait/morph.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google