CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Purist Breeders

Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #201
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
it would also make it very easy to tell if a hybrid had snuck into ones collection so to speak. One may only have to look at the fact that you have all infertile males or most of your males are infertile for instance to suggest that there may be some hybrid goings on in their past.
That wouldn't tell anyone one way or another if any snake someone posessed had any hybrid influence, even though some hybrids might be sterile. There can be fertility problems with many "pure" line snakes just the same for any number of reasons. One would be temps being too high. That will kill sperm just as it does in humans or almost any other animal. There can be other unknown factors too. That scenario would be very inconclusive. A good microscope would be the best bet for finding out if there are high numbers of viable sperm, a low-count, ...or none at all in any male.

As far as females go, you would have to gently check as the snake crawled through your hand to feel for any egg follicles during ovulation. This is often known as the "string of pearls". The little soft lumps can be felt with the thumb or index finger with a slight bit of pressure applied to the belly as it moves across.

~Doug

Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #202
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMong View Post
That wouldn't tell anyone one way or another if any snake someone posessed had any hybrid influence, even though some hybrids might be sterile. There can be fertility problems with many "pure" line snakes just the same for any number of reasons. One would be temps being too high. That will kill sperm just as it does in humans or almost any other animal. There can be other unknown factors too. That scenario would be very inconclusive. A good microscope would be the best bet for finding out if there are high numbers of viable sperm, a low-count, ...or none at all in any male.

As far as females go, you would have to gently check as the snake crawled through your hand to feel for any egg follicles during ovulation. This is often known as the "string of pearls". The little soft lumps can be felt with the thumb or index finger with a slight bit of pressure applied to the belly as it moves across.

~Doug
Well thought out Doug. I had one of those duhh, moments reading your post. The kind where you slap yourself and I totally agree with you on all counts this time. The more I read of your posts the more I wonder why I in the world couldn't have gotten so lucky as to have a neighbor or close friend with even half your knowledge where it concerns snakes.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #203
dave partington
The only thing I'll speculate at the moment is that the farther apart the geographical regions 2 species are from, the lower the number of fertile eggs and/or the higher chances of infertile F1's being produced.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google