CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

religion and hybrids

Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
kc261
A lot of religious people from many different religions object to things such as GMOs, cloning, etc. because they feel we are "playing God". Some object to IVF and other forms of assisted human reproduction for the same reason. I'm sure some would object to hybrids as well.

Personally, I don't see any more "playing God" in putting together 2 animals of different species and letting them conceive naturally than I do in putting together 2 animals of the same species. We are still controlling who breeds with who.

There are a lot of laws within the Jewish religion that have to do with keeping things separate, such as the meat & dairy thing and others that have been pointed out in this thread, and at least one more I'm aware of that hasn't been mentioned, namely several difference circumstances in which men & women keep separate from each other. However, as far as I'm aware, there are specific reasons for each and every one of those, rather than a general overriding "keep things separate" rule.

So is there a rule about hybrids? I had no idea and googled it to find out. Apparently, yes. Leviticus 19:19.
Quote:
You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with another kind: you shall not sow your field with mixed seed: neither shall a garment of mixed linen and wool come upon you.
This, however, does not mean that all Jews feel this way. The "two Jews, 3 opinions" thing is probably true not only of Jews, but of pretty much all religions. Very few people agree on exactly the same thing by the time you consider all a religion encompasses.

I wouldn't be surprised if you asked a traditional rabbi (Orthodox I think?) about hybridizing snakes if you were told the entire question is moot because a Jew shouldn't be keeping/propagating snakes of any kind due to the garden of Eden story. I'm pretty sure that is one of the ones that is in the Torah as well as the Christian old testament.

I believe the unleavened bread thing is specific to Passover, and does not apply year round. It is definitely true that Jews no longer sacrifice because the Temple no longer exists. That's "THE Temple". I have heard Jews refer to their house of worship and or services as "temple", so the confusion is understandable.

Disclaimers: I'm not a Jew. I'm not any sort of religious expert. I just found it an interesting subject. Hope I don't offend anyone.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
susang
You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with another kind: you shall not sow your field with mixed seed: neither shall a garment of mixed linen and wool come upon you. Good beginning for discussion. There are so many iffs while I can keep things seperate: What about birds sewing seeds in the garden. Would grafting trees be questioned? From a utilitarian standpoint caring for wool/linen garment is tricky, so is the rule more utilitarian. Maybe the rule is mixing fibers of animal and plant???
As for animals breeding Elk breed cattle all the time here, not by choice but the bull elk come down and get in the cattle pasture.
Many people fear snakes as evil/demonic and I guess some of those people are religous, some are non-religous. Some people think snakes are just wrong as pets. My sister is sure the garter snakes in our yard are after her and will attack, her friend thinks I'm strange because I like snakes.
For those who watch Survivor do you ever notice at the 'dun dun duh' moment they show a snake of some sort. What is that about?
Maybe we have free will a brain and opposing thumb so we can advance, not as playing god, but using what some think god gave us. Since I question so much including organized religion and god, it is my hope we continue to use these things not only for us but our future.
I think discussions like this are wonderful and make me use my brain.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #23
crotalis40741
Ok who made popcorn? I have slim jims and dew.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
chris68
I love to hear folks discuss religious beliefs, it's that plus the history that fascinates me. That we're all adults and can keep it civil is (should be) a given

Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with another kind: you shall not sow your field with mixed seed: neither shall a garment of mixed linen and wool come upon you. Good beginning for discussion. There are so many iffs while I can keep things seperate: What about birds sewing seeds in the garden. Would grafting trees be questioned? From a utilitarian standpoint caring for wool/linen garment is tricky, so is the rule more utilitarian. Maybe the rule is mixing fibers of animal and plant???
As for animals breeding Elk breed cattle all the time here, not by choice but the bull elk come down and get in the cattle pasture.
Many people fear snakes as evil/demonic and I guess some of those people are religous, some are non-religous. Some people think snakes are just wrong as pets. My sister is sure the garter snakes in our yard are after her and will attack, her friend thinks I'm strange because I like snakes.
For those who watch Survivor do you ever notice at the 'dun dun duh' moment they show a snake of some sort. What is that about?
Maybe we have free will a brain and opposing thumb so we can advance, not as playing god, but using what some think god gave us. Since I question so much including organized religion and god, it is my hope we continue to use these things not only for us but our future.
I think discussions like this are wonderful and make me use my brain.
see now that i am remembering this frank did say that grafting was immoral. now I need to know which sect he belongs to.

When I tell people I keep snakes most freak out about it and hate them.

As stated I am christian so for me this makes sense that people act like this, but what I ask is this. was the snake possessed into doing this.

also, as a side note I think its interesting to see that Adam and Eve make cloths from a fig tree.

The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken.

When god places the skin on adam and eve he is covering there sin with blood.

I also wonder if there are other regions that have history and teachings about snakes.

I have heard that certain Native American tribes say that-

a snakes has two tongues and tells two tales

Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #26
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
I love to hear folks discuss religious beliefs, it's that plus the history that fascinates me. That we're all adults and can keep it civil is (should be) a given
Popcorn and dew can't hurt even if we all manage to stay adultish.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
A lot of religious people from many different religions object to things such as GMOs, cloning, etc. because they feel we are "playing God". Some object to IVF and other forms of assisted human reproduction for the same reason. I'm sure some would object to hybrids as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
see now that i am remembering this frank did say that grafting was immoral.
Yet food is not labelled as to whether those apples or oranges or tomato/potatos or whatever came from grafted root stock. I guess synthetic pest control (petro-chemicals) are too new a product, so there's no mention of mixing chemicals with food in texts of old.

If one crosses a lemon with a pomelo, grapefruit happens.

Pure Ascorbic Acid which is generally used for food supplements and in foods (labelled "with added Vitamin C") is generally NOT from a natural source. It is synthetised by a chemical reaction, sometimes also by using genetically modified organisms.

Amendment 1 of the US Constitution is about freedom of religion, not sure where I'm going with this thought. Thanks for the brain candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
Sounds like a recipe for shooting my lunch before breakfast, thanks for that little bit of vomit creeping up my throat. Two herpers three opinions.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #28
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
Yet food is not labelled as to whether those apples or oranges or tomato/potatos or whatever came from grafted root stock. I guess synthetic pest control (petro-chemicals) are too new a product, so there's no mention of mixing chemicals with food in texts of old.

If one crosses a lemon with a pomelo, grapefruit happens.

Pure Ascorbic Acid which is generally used for food supplements and in foods (labelled "with added Vitamin C") is generally NOT from a natural source. It is synthetised by a chemical reaction, sometimes also by using genetically modified organisms.

Amendment 1 of the US Constitution is about freedom of religion, not sure where I'm going with this thought. Thanks for the brain candy.

Sounds like a recipe for shooting my lunch before breakfast, thanks for that little bit of vomit creeping up my throat. Two herpers three opinions.

great point dave! it is very hard to keep things separated this day in age.

I think there are rules concerning sins you have committed unintentional and unwittingly there dont carry the same weight.

I was also thinking about the fact the shirts are labeled 100% cotton

there could be several reasons for this but it also seems useful.

also I was thinking about interracial marriages.

but Joseph marries outside of his race and religion, but she makes a conversion to Judaism

(Genesis 41:45). The pharaoh gave Asenath to Joseph for his wife; Genesis doesn't reveal how old Asenath was when she married Joseph, but he was thirty.

Egyptian land at that time was fertile, harvests were good, and food was plentiful. Asenath, whose name means “gift of the sun god,” bore Joseph two sons. He named the firstborn Manasseh, “For God, said he, hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house” (Genesis 41:51)

Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
cornbreadandmilk
Pharaoh gave Joseph the name Zaphenath-Paneah and gave him Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On, to be his wife. And Joseph went throughout the land of Egypt.

Genesis 41:45

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #30
susang
What about before the Bible, what about the parts of the Bible taken out, the gnostic gospels? Even before Buddists, Tibetin, Hindus do they have laws that would cover interbreeding corn snakes. How did these peoples feel about snakes as evil, as good, as a symbol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google