CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

PILE-O LAVAS & LAVA CINDERS !!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #21
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
Walter and carol, can you give me the genotypes of the dames? Are they lava het cinder, cinder het lava, or het for both?
Mine is Lava het Cinder

It may be a while before we here from Carol. She stays VERY busy and does not hit the forums daily.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #22
DuxorW
After looking at her post in her forum, it looks like her female is het lava cinder, which is good because I expect a skewed phenotypic ration if the female is het lava cinder or lava het cinder. For reasons I will explain, I expect that it is also possible to get all female lava cinders and no males, although you should get the same repeatable result for each dame. Ie, one dame might throw all male lava cinders when mated to a male lava cinder, whereas another female might consistently throw all female lava cinders. My theory predicts that you will be able to get both male and female lava cinders if the female is homozygous cinder het lava.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #23
DuxorW
(Sometimes I think it is worth getting a paid subscription if only for the ability to correct typos. I meant ratio, not ration.)

Old 06-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #24
DuxorW
Before I post a looooooong explanation, Walter, have you had similar skewed results when crossing a cinder male to a het cinder female?

Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #25
Nanci
Duxor, when you discuss your theory, can you include a scenario in which both sire and dam are lava het cinder? Thanks!

Old 06-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #26
Nanci
This just in from Carol:

Previous years- het lava het cinder x het lava het cinder

2014- lava cinder x het lava het cinder

Old 06-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #27
DuxorW
I will Nanci. First I would like to know if a similar result occurs with male cinder or het cinder x female het cinder. Although if it happens with lava cinder and buttermints, I don't see why it wouldn't happen with just cinder, as long as the female is het.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #28
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
Before I post a looooooong explanation, Walter, have you had similar skewed results when crossing a cinder male to a het cinder female?
Yes.......2012 & 2013 ~ SIRE Buttermint (Butter Cinder) X DAME Amel het Caramel Cinder. ALL homo Cinders in the clutches were males, even the non Caramel one (Peppermints)

After I got the same results in 2013 as in 2012, then started me thinking of the PROVEN testings in the Banana/CG Ball Pythons.

This year between myself seeing them again with a totally different pair AND the fact that Carol is seeing it,
that's where it's got me thinking this could actually be the case ???

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #29
DuxorW
Ok, the fact that even the non caramel cinders were male tells me what I need to know. I'll try to post what I think is going on later this evening.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #30
cornmorphs
Heres on for you Carola dn WalTer.. I have probably hatched well over 100 cinder based snakes now.... I have had about 3 females ever... So literally we are talking about 1-2% maybe.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google