CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Yellow Okeetee?

Old 11-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #21
gardenmum
Wow! That is unigue and beautiful. What a great find. You'll definitely have to let us know what that girl throws when bred to a caramel type, if you do breed her to one that is. Too bad that wasn't a male. Glad she is eating good for you.

Congratulations!!

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:45 AM   #22
herpster
They are cool looking snakes, my friend has one exactly the same, and its a corn x yellow rat snake

Old 11-15-2004, 09:07 AM   #23
panda
Corn x Yellow Rat

I was going to suggest that, but didn't wnt to start the old hybrid argument. I can almost imagine yellow rat stripes on this snake.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #24
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpster
They are cool looking snakes, my friend has one exactly the same, and its a corn x yellow rat snake
Lets see it, if it looks exactly like this one.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:53 PM   #25
ecreipeoj
Do Yellow Rats occur in Cumberland county, NC? I have no idea.

Old 11-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #26
herpster
When I said exactly, I shouldnt of said exactly, i should of said similar, I got her to send me some pictures, as I have only seen my mates corn once and it just seemed really bright like that one, heres a picture anyway...

Old 11-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #27
ecreipeoj
Hi fellow herpaholic!

Thank you for posting the photo. I can see the Yellow Rat in that one. This is why I wanted you to post the photo. Perhaps you were not suggesting that this Corn is a Hybrid, but many people would jump on the idea that it is.

I tend to believe people until they give me a reason not to. I believe that Zee caught this snake himself and it is wild caught. He has caught other Corns in the area so there is a viable population of Corns in that area.

I have no idea if Yellow Rats occur in that area and if there are intergrades with the corns in the area. I do not think it is as common as people might think.

I was talking to Serp about this snake by email and he gave three possibilities, which I agree with.

“I think it's most likely to be one of three things:

1- a photoshop job

2- a caramel that was found WC in NC

3- a "caramel-like" trait that was found WC in NC.”

I personally think it is #3 A Caramel like trait. I do not have a great deal of experience with Caramels, but I have never seen one with the distinct black borders that this one has.

We really don’t have all that many genetic morphs. It would be so cool to have another one to play with. I am sure that when we look back on things 10 years from now, we will wonder how we ever got along with only 12 genetic mutant genes. More are sure to come.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:18 PM   #28
herpster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj
Hi fellow herpaholic!

3- a "caramel-like" trait that was found WC in NC.”

I personally think it is #3 A Caramel like trait. I do not have a great deal of experience with Caramels, but I have never seen one with the distinct black borders that this one has.
Hi there, I do agree with the caramel like trait, my friend also said the same, when i looked at the heads properly of these two snakes i could see the difference, as my friends has the rat snake head, i just needed refresher pictures to remind me, i just remember her having this corn x rat snake and it looking similar to that one, it is a very unusual colour though,

Old 11-15-2004, 09:29 PM   #29
BlueKing
Caramels Don't have yellow blotches neither do yellow rat x corns. . .

In my county I have only found palish gray/bluish ratsnakes which indicates they are yellow rats x black rats (as most field guides indicate). The yelllow rats occur only near the coast and a few miles inland. I live over 100 miles from the coast. Does anyone have a caramel that has YELLOW blotches??? I know there are a ton of caramels out there, but the main difference is that they have a yellow GROUND color and NOT yellow blotches. It may be a "caramel like" trait , but it is not a caramel by what I've seen so far. . . All caramels that I've seen have Non-yellow blotches. . .
Thank you all for your advice, as I am not a genetics expert myself! I HIGHLY appreciate it! I hope to have some answers next summer when the little ones hatch. I only have one question: Is it better to breed to a male found from the same area (I have two of them) or a male that is COMLETELY unrelated (from any area, at least 20-30 miles away or so?
Thank so much everyone!
As soon as I stop working overtime I'll post some pics in the natural (sun)light (Lately I'm always going to work at sunrise and getting home after sunset)! Sorry. . .

Zee

Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 PM   #30
ecreipeoj
Hi Zee,
You made some good points. I do not think it looks like a Caramel, except for the yellow color. It looks to me like the red coloration of the normal orange blotches was removed and the yellow pigment was left. Much like an Anery gene removes the red and orange and we are left with a gray snake. It looks to be half of an Anery gene and only removes the red and not the yellow, if you know what I mean. I guess it could be an Anery type gene that is also hyperxanthic or just a gene that is hypoxanthic.

I think you have two options, since it is a female:

1) If I was going to breed her to a normal corn. I would breed her to a male from the same area if it was me and create a locality Corn. If this proves to be genetic it will be nice to have a wild line.

2) Eventually you are going to have to test breed her to a Caramel carrier, to see if she is compatible with the Caramel gene, because she resembles Caramels the most. I would try to breed her to a Caramel carrier that has the most genes involved so if you get all normals, the potential for new combinations is greater. It just depend on which breeding you want to do first.

The most important thing is to just get babies from her to preserve the gene, if it proves to be a genetic mutant. There have been a lot of odd looking snake that have not been a genetic mutant and not reproducible

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google