CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Thoughts on this sound he makes?

Old 06-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
SillyNoodle
Question Thoughts on this sound he makes?

Hi guys,

For about the past ~8 months, my corn snake has occasionally (every few days to once/twice a day) made a "sneeze" sound. He isn't necessarily moving around when he does this, but I've caught sight of him a few times and it's definitely a forced exhalation / muscle contraction. (I understand snakes don't sneeze, but it's the best way to describe the sound).

He eats normally, sheds normally, defecates normally, and has had no abnormal weight or other behavioral changes over the last 5 years besides this odd breathing thing he does occasionally. His sheds have been complete with the exception of about one a year (but he has never had a problem shedding the eyecaps). He is retaining no shed over his nostrils/mouth.

He exhibits no other symptoms. No open mouth breathing, no head positioning, no mucus or bubbling, no crusting, no whistling. He has become less active over the past year when compared to his 1 year-old self, however that seems more consistent with aging than anything else (but I could be wrong).

Thoughts? My vet will examine him again if I wish, but doesn't really know what to make of his behavior and lack of other symptoms. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
snakes don't sneeze?

Sure they do. And they Cough too.

Perhaps you should read the link below:

http://animals.mom.me/snake-making-s...ses-10871.html

Old 06-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
SillyNoodle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
snakes don't sneeze?

Sure they do. And they Cough too.

Perhaps you should read the link below:

http://animals.mom.me/snake-making-s...ses-10871.html
Sorry, I should specify. They don't have a diaphragm so I didn't want to describe that behavior/symptom in a way that may inaccurately refer to his anatomy. They can forcefully contract their rib muscles, yes. I also agree that may encompass similar benefits to that of a traditional sneeze or cough, but it isn't necessarily as sufficient.

Do you happen to have any experience on whether this type of behavior is always linked to RIs? His lack of progression and other symptoms for this long of a period is confusing to me.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
Felix2018
My guy makes a weird burst of air and then almost squeaks after. Our vet said it isn’t anything to be concerned about she said it is a normal thing that some corn snakes do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyNoodle View Post
Sorry, I should specify. They don't have a diaphragm so I didn't want to describe that behavior/symptom in a way that may inaccurately refer to his anatomy. They can forcefully contract their rib muscles, yes. I also agree that may encompass similar benefits to that of a traditional sneeze or cough, but it isn't necessarily as sufficient.

Do you happen to have any experience on whether this type of behavior is always linked to RIs? His lack of progression and other symptoms for this long of a period is confusing to me.
ummm.... what?

Snakes sneeze and cough just like any animal does. Why do you sneeze? If dust gets in your nose or pollen or something that irritates you, you sneeze to expel it. So does every other animal including snakes. Did you even read the article?

Snakes can also get "Colds" respiratory infections that can cause them to sneeze, wheeze or cough.

And yes, I had a Boa about 30 years ago with a cold that was sneezing, and I took her to a vet, got a few antibiotic injection, and she cleared up and was fine after.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #6
SillyNoodle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix2018 View Post
My guy makes a weird burst of air and then almost squeaks after. Our vet said it isn’t anything to be concerned about she said it is a normal thing that some corn snakes do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really appreciate you sharing your experience! Puts my mind at ease a bit to know there's another healthy corn in the world that is slightly odd like mine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google