CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

What do you feed your snake in?

Old 07-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
NinnJinn
What do you feed your snake in?

I am currently using a 1 gallon ice cream bucket with a lid with holes in it. Hunter doesn't care whats going on or who is watching. Soon as the pinkie is within his reach, its in his mouth.

Sherbert on the other hand tries to escape, so no watching him eat. I have to put the lid on and sit the bucket in a dark area then about 15mins later he starts to eat.

I know sooner than later they will be too big for the ice cream bucket, So just curious as to what everyone else uses to feed their snakes.

Or suggestions on what to feed them in. I contemplated a new 5 gallon bucket with lid, but I am afraid of getting bit while putting them in to feed, or reaching in to pick them up. Right now the ice cream bucket is small enough that I can sit it on its side inside each of their viv's and then they slither on out on their own.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
I use a Clear Plastic Food Keeper (sort of like a tupperware thing) with a lid. Not sure how many quarts it is but I'd say it's about 16 inches long by 10 inches wide by 3 inches deep.

When Rufus was a baby he fit easily in there, but now he's probably too big for it, but he only has to eat in it so what the heck........

He "knows" when I put him in there he's about to eat. I guess he thinks the mice magically appear because he starts Looking for the mouse as soon as he's in there.

I put the lid on it only when I'm in the Kitchen preparing his mouse. I also do his cage cleaning while his mouse is thawing and the lid is on the tub. The lid comes off when I return and I hold the mouse over him and he usually snatches it right away.

I leave the lid off while he's eating. (He's more concerned with food than trying to escape.)

Once he's done eating, he will generally search the tub to see if there are more mice and when he doesn't find any, he will climb out of the tub on his own.

I try not to stick my hand in the tub. I don't want him to associate my hand with food, and if he's still in feeding mode I don't want him to bite me.

But I have found if I let him crawl out of the tub on his own, I can pick him up and he's ready to go back into his warm cage.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
MysticExotics
I feed in their enclosure.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:11 AM   #4
lvchris
ya I feed in there enclosure as well..

Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
LadyJemima
Just a clear Rubbermaid with lid. Not sure what the size is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
anthroterra01
I feed in the enclosure

Old 07-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Dragonling
I feed in the cage. I just got some new hides for all my adults that have flat tops, so I just set the mouse on top with a paper towel.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Caryl
If I am in a super rush, I put the mouse on layers of newspaper in the snakes' enclosures. If I have a bit more time or am doing something like completely cleaning the viv I put snakes and meals into a separate newspaper-lined container with a lid. Either way, the newspaper makes for easy cleanup.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google