CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Shedding issues

Old 07-06-2017, 01:08 AM   #1
kayjaypah
Shedding issues

I have a question. I don't know if you can see in the pictures, but Arrie is has only shed half way down his body. That was over a week ago. Don't snakes usually shed their skin all at once? At what point should I be concerned?
Don't be concerned that he is hanging. I had a hold of him with my other hand lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2017, 01:27 AM   #2
MysticExotics
You can put a humid hide in the enclosure to help with the rest of the shed. Make a humid hide by using a deli cup with lid, or cleaned out butter container with lid, etc and put damp sphagnum moss or damp paper towel in it. Also, make sure your snake has clean water at all times, and a big enough water bowl to soak in.

Edit to add: cut a hole big enough for the snake to get in and out.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
nicolefowler2005
Do you have a temp and humidity gauge in your tank or Viv? Most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
kayjaypah
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
Do you have a temp and humidity gauge in your tank or Viv? Most

Not yet I know I need to get one.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
kayjaypah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
You can put a humid hide in the enclosure to help with the rest of the shed. Make a humid hide by using a deli cup with lid, or cleaned out butter container with lid, etc and put damp sphagnum moss or damp paper towel in it. Also, make sure your snake has clean water at all times, and a big enough water bowl to soak in.

Sound great, so I put the container with a wet paper towel in the tank but it's closed. Do I have that right ? Say a clean butter dish with wet paper towels and holes in the lid. Is this to produce moisture in the viv?

Old 07-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Scrappyeddie77
No cut a hole in it so the snake can get inside of it

You can also put the snake in a plastic shoe box with a few wet paper towels for about 5 minutes to get the shed off I have found that this works well and after you take it out let it crawl through your hands or a damp wash cloth to get the rest off
And make sure that the tip of the tail comes off if it does not try again
A stuck shed on the tip will cut off the circulation and it will fall off

Old 07-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
nicolefowler2005
I meant to add most problems with shedding are due to lack of humidity in the tank or viv!! The humid hide is probably the best way to go but make sure you change the damp moss out like once a week or so or it can mold

Old 07-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
kayjaypah
So I took a glad container poked a bunch of holes in the top and put in a few moist paper towels like Scrappyeddie77 said. I took him out every 5-10 minutes. Eventually all of his old skin came off even at the tip of his tail! Thanks for all your help everyone!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #9
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjaypah View Post
Sound great, so I put the container with a wet paper towel in the tank but it's closed. Do I have that right ? Say a clean butter dish with wet paper towels and holes in the lid. Is this to produce moisture in the viv?

Sorry, I forgot to add the part about cutting a hole for the snake. I fixed it.

Shedding issues are often due to dehydration, so you want to make sure they have clean water at all times, and a water bowl big enough for them to soak in. You can do two, one smaller to keep clean water in, and a bigger one for them to soak in.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjaypah View Post
So I took a glad container poked a bunch of holes in the top and put in a few moist paper towels like Scrappyeddie77 said. I took him out every 5-10 minutes. Eventually all of his old skin came off even at the tip of his tail! Thanks for all your help everyone!

That works too! 1i'm glad it worked for you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google