CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

First corn snake

Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
Doc6
Question First corn snake

So I'm looking into getting my first cornsnake but I need help finding everything I need to get setup, could anyone send me links/lists of everything I need and size of tank I would need for the snake when it gets fully grown<3

Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
DollysMom
Hi Doc6. Welcome to the forum!

I recommend you start by reading these books:

https://www.amazon.ca/Corn-Snakes-Ca...s+in+captivity

https://www.amazon.ca/Corn-Snakes-Co...KQ9WG2HPANFV0Q

I've given links to the Kindle editions but they are available in paperback as well.

You may also get help in this thread:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341

It is what is called a sticky and is in the Husbandry section. I recommend going through the forum and reading all the stickies. Then come back here with your list and ask us for any additions, suggestions or corrections.

Best wishes.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
DLena
Good Morning Doc6. It's great to have you here. DollysMom has given you fantastic resources. I found Don's book to be incredibly helpful, and he highly recommends this site, both in his book and in email conversations I've had with him.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
NinnJinn
Hiya Doc6! welcome to the forum! While I have to agree with what DollysMom provided.

If you are looking for what others have for their Corns, Here is what I did/ have for mine.

For my first Corn snake, I went to Pet Smart. I bought the zoomed (zoo med) 40gal premium snake habitat ($200). It pretty much has everything you will need to get started. If you get a corn, IMO, there are things included that you will not need. I opted to use the included under tank heater. Therefore IMO making the lamps not needed.
Included with the tank is:
Dome and basking lamp
Aspen bedding
Habba hut
Thermometer and humidity gauge
Water bowl
Reptisafe water conditioner.

The thing I like about the ZooMed tanks is, the screen slides into a slot so the lid will NOT pop off. then you have 2 pins to put into the slots that prevents the lid from sliding.

The thing I would suggest about this tank, Unless you are 6ft+ tall, is to put it somewhere low because it is over 18in tall, plus you will have to reach down 18 inches to get to the floor of the habitat to pick up your snake. When I first brought my snake home, he liked to burrow in the aspen bedding.

While your little baby corn is going to look swallowed up by the large tank, I went with the mind set, that I did not want to have to upgrade later, So that is why I went with the bigger tank.

7 days later, I decided to get a second Corn. So off to Pet Smart I went. Due to having to place the 40gal tank low and lack of space, and learning that an adult Corn will be content in a 20 gal LONG tank, that is what I went with.

Zoomed 20gal long premium snake habitat.($150) Same items as the 40gal except they were smaller and more appropriately sized. I have only had my Corns for about a month now, but they seem to be happy and content.

As for a cheap/ free hide while your Snake is young, Paper towel and toilet paper rolls....
Since I started throwing these in their Vivs, they do not burrow to sleep anymore. So I get to see them pretty much anytime I want.

You will also want to invest in a "moist hide" for when they are getting ready to shed. I have a cheap $1 food container with lid from the local dollar store. Cut a hole at the end of it for the snake to get through. Be sure to sand the hole really good so its smooth so it will not scratch/cut the snake. put a couple damp paper towels in there and your good.

Just an FYI: If you get a Regular/normal Corn Snake at Pet Smart, You are looking at roughly $30 depended on your sales tax rate.

We are a friendly bunch here. So feel free to ask questions!!!

Zoomed 40gal http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/star...ml?cgid=500117

Zoomed 20gal Long http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/star...ml?cgid=500117

Old 07-27-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
Doc6
Perfect thanks for all the help everyone <3

Old 07-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
beckyhiker
Just a heads up on the ZooMed kits. The spline holding the screen into the lid on our 20G long came loose a couple of weeks ago (we've had our baby snake and the kit since mid April) allowing Zaya to escape from her home. I don't believe that anyone was particularly rough with the lid, but we do have cats, so possible that one of them poked at it.

I'm not trying to discredit ZM, but if you have one of their screen tops please keep an eye on the screen and spline. I also don't know if every snake would notice a hole either, but Zaya is often in her vines and poking around at the top.

Best wishes for your new addition!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
NinnJinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhiker View Post
Just a heads up on the ZooMed kits. The spline holding the screen into the lid on our 20G long came loose a couple of weeks ago (we've had our baby snake and the kit since mid April) allowing Zaya to escape from her home. I don't believe that anyone was particularly rough with the lid, but we do have cats, so possible that one of them poked at it.

I'm not trying to discredit ZM, but if you have one of their screen tops please keep an eye on the screen and spline. I also don't know if every snake would notice a hole either, but Zaya is often in her vines and poking around at the top.

Thank you for the heads up!! Although I do not have cats in the house, Your comment caused me to be aware of something else to look for while handling my corns.

Thank you!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
beckyhiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinnJinn View Post
Thank you for the heads up!! Although I do not have cats in the house, Your comment caused me to be aware of something else to look for while handling my corns.

Thank you!
No problem! I just hate to think of somebody else having to search for their skinny, baby snake like we did. I feel extremely lucky that we found her!

Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhiker View Post

No, every snake will find the hole, sooner or later. Its their job.

I agree, cats and screen lids do not go together well. I don't currently have cats due to allergies in the house, but if I did I would keep them off the snake cages.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #10
beckyhiker
Only once have I seen one of our cats getting anywhere near the terrarium, and he was just looking. We always keep my son's bedroom door closed when we are not home. And, I did not mean to say that I thought it highly possible that one of the cats was responsible for loosening the spline, just that it was as possible as my son having done so. It could also have been that that particular piece was not up to QC standards and normal use just caused it to pull out of the groove thus generating the gap. Either way, I purchased a new 20G long with a much more secure top, one that does not depend upon spline pushed into a groove.

Happy snake parenting!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google