CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Unplug the heat mat on the night? is this substrate Ok?

Old 09-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
Snooki
Thanks for great advice.
I will leave him for some days.
Tomorrow i will try to feed him only.
If i feed him in the fanarium im thinking he can get wood bricks to eat since the pinkey is sticky? And if i move him to another empty pet box it not a great idea to lift him back right after he have eaten. Any ideo how i should do it?

Old 09-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
Patmart
If he doesn't feed don't worry George didn't feed the fist Time just it for a day or 2 and try again I wasted about 3 mice
Just enjoy him
Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
Em.Mo.Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki View Post
Hello.

I just got a corn snake for the first time.

Using a exo terra small heat mat under 1/3 of the cage.

Should i unplug it every night so it get low temperatures all over in the petbox or could i let it be plugged in?

He sleeps inside a coconut hide place and the heatmat is under there.

Next question is that substrate ok for a baby corn snake?

I add a pics of it.

Tomorrow Im going to offer him pinky for the first time.

Should i add him in a empty box because the pinky is sticky and he could get some wood bits with the food?

Hi there and welcome to the world of corn snakes!

So, I have a couple thoughts. First of all, since snakes are cold blooded, they need a hot place and a cool place so that they can regulate their temperature, and that goes for both during the day and at night. Secondly, I wouldn't worry about where your snake's hide is, corn snakes are nocturnal, so at night while you are sleeping, your snake is active and moving all over the place, not staying in his hide. In my opinion, I think it's pretty important to keep your heating pad on at night when he's active so that he can regulate his temperature during his active time.

And as for feeding, yes! Definitely feed him in a separate container so that he doesn't eat his bedding and so that he doesn't associate his tank with eating.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #14
Snooki
Thank you

Yes i will buy a box tomorrow to put him into when i feed him.
How should i put him back and how long time should i wait to move him after he have swallow?

Old 09-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
Patmart
Hi when you feed him I would use long tweezers to feed I normally wait till his food goes half way his body
Then gently put him back in his viv
One important thing is you don't touch him for at lest one full day after you feed him so he can digest his food
Pat

Old 09-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #16
Em.Mo.Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki View Post
Thank you

Yes i will buy a box tomorrow to put him into when i feed him.
How should i put him back and how long time should i wait to move him after he have swallow?

I usually gently tip my feeding box and slide him into his tank, but I'm looking to get a snake him so I can move him to his tank more comfortably and successfully. They're pretty inexpensive at chain pet stores. And yes, wait until his food is about halfway down his body, usually no more than 5 or 10 minutes after he's closed his mouth around his food.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
Patmart
What's a snake him ? I never come across it
Pat

Old 09-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
Em.Mo.Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
What's a snake him ? I never come across it
Pat

Lol whoops, autocorrect strikes again! I meant a snake hook

Old 09-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #19
Patmart
I thought that but wasn't sure
I have never had a snake hook
Haven't found the need
Pat

Old 09-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #20
Karl_Mcknight
My snake Rufus usually just crawls out of the feed bin and into my hands when he's ready to go. I just carry him back to his cage.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google