CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Convincing Parents?

Old 09-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
The_Crazy_Lizard
Thanks for that tip.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
DollysMom
No problem. Here's a a link to a bunch of candy cane pictures.

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/?m=candycane

Old 09-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #13
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crazy_Lizard View Post
I am thirteen and my parents are not sure if I would be able to care for a corn snake............
I would agree with that in part. A lot of parents "get stuck" with pets that kids seemed eager to get. So really, if you, a 13 year old kid is wanting a snake, it should be one that your parents like and don't mind handling as well. Even if you do live up to your responsibilities, at some point in time, your parents may have a need to interact with the snake. Having said all that, I was about 13 or 14 when I held a snake for the first time, and like you I tried to convince my parents to let me have one. They finally did, but it took me a few years. I was 17 when I got my first snake, a Colombian Red Tail Boa.

Quote:
...........I could use some help with things that I need some clarity on that might change my parents mind. The first thing is the fact that snakes need to be held daily..........
That's not true. However, in my opinion a pet is a pet, regardless if it's a dog, cat, or snake. I treat my snake as a member of the family, and just like any other pet. I can't say I handle him every single day, but it's close to that. Your snake will only be "Close to you" if you are "Close to it." And there is some truth to the statement that all snakes retain some of their "Wild Traits" and if you don't handle them for long periods of time, they can lose some or all of their tameness. However, this does not mean you have to handle them every day. Just often.

Quote:
........The second is if it in expensive to keep them. To my understanding it should only cost $5-$10 a month to care for a corn snake..........
That sounds about right, but you will have an initial investment, cage, heater(s), water bowls, decorations and functional hide boxes, other supplies, the monthly addition to the electric bill the heat and lighting will produce, the food which is once or twice a week as a baby, and then every 2 weeks as an adult, and possibly an occasional vet bill which can cost 75 dollars or more depending on the visit.

Quote:
........... Lastly is it easy to make an enclosure escape proof? This sounds like a dumb question but I just have to ask. (btw I have a crested gecko currently)
It is fairly easy to make an enclosure escape proof. Snakes are escape artists though, and just about anyone who has ever had a pet snake can relate a story of losing one or two. Somehow they can still find a way out even when you think they can't. Instead of "Making a cage Escape Proof" I'd suggest you spend a little extra, and just purchase a cage right off the bat that is already Escape Proof and made for snakes, instead of buying an aquarium (Made for Fish) and trying to secure a lid onto it.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:18 PM   #14
The_Crazy_Lizard
Thank you for all of the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #15
The_Crazy_Lizard
So a little update on this thread. My mom would not budge on no but because we are a little limited on space in our current house. So I worked out a deal with my favorite local reptile store so I am able to keep it there and go see it whenever, as well as care for it. They are going to charge me $10 a month to keep it there but I am currently making over $100 a month so I am currently in a place where I can do that. I am hoping to get the snake this weekend at the expo ( reptilian nation expo) but if not within the next month. Thanks for all the help on trying to convince them.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #16
Em.Mo.Clark
Congrats!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #17
The_Crazy_Lizard
I actually suggested numerous diy books shelfs that would allow me to use one of the shelves as a cage which also helps with our storage issue (even made detailed blueprints) but that didn't work.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #18
DollysMom
That's wonderful! Best wishes to you and your snake!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #19
The_Crazy_Lizard
Wanted to update everyone on here. I am going to be getting a pair of vanilla spider ball pythons this weekend

Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
DollysMom
Wow, that's wonderful. Sounds like your hard work paid off.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google