CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

My baby cornsnake poo is very wet, felt down on the floor question

Old 09-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Snooki
My baby cornsnake poo is very wet, felt down on the floor question

Hel

My baby corn snake took a pinky on monday.
I let him be alone until today, just hold him for around 10 minutes.
Right before i was finish he suddently let go off my hand hand he felt from my hand and down on the floor. I was sitting on a chair.
Next time i will for sure sit over a table.

Can he handle a fall from around 1 meter and down to the wood floor?
He seems fine, right after he entered the terrarium he pooped and drinked alot of water.

The poop was very wet, and if i had not looked into the terrarium i had not find it.
Little yellow and it was almost consistence like water so i took toilet paper and clean it up, no hard little poop this was liquid.

Dont know if that is normal for a baby?

Thanks for answers.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
DollysMom
While it is better not to drop your snake, yes they can survive a drop from a meter.

What I believe you saw was snake pee. Often they pee and poop at the same time. That's when you see the brownish bits. But sometimes they only pass the yellowish bits with what I think looks kind of like darkish egg white when fresh. When it is fresh, healthy corn snake poop and pee is pretty wet.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Em.Mo.Clark
I agree with what DollysMom said. I've had a healthy snake pee/poop on me and it was yellow and white. I wouldn't be concerned right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Snooki
Yes then it probably was most pee.

Hope it goes well for him, in nature they fell but anyway. I should hold him a place where he could not fell if he goes out of my hand. It happens fast and some how he let go off me.
It was not more than 3-4 feet.

I bought him on saturday and on monday he got a new terrarium.
I cant see him in the terrarium, at early night i use a veak red light, but i never see him outside the coconut. But maby he come out when he is hungry and we sleeping.
Two days since last freding, do they stay inside and enjoy the meal for a few days without explore the terrarium?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
DollysMom
Yes, hold them where they can't fall. When working with older babies I usually hold them over and let them crawl on my (made) bed. You still have to watch for them going off the edge of the bed, but it is much easier. It is also reasonably safe to sit in a chair and let them crawl through your hands so if they slip they go on your lap which is closer and softer.

They are very fast and though they can survive falls, you need to take every precaution to prevent it. Many of us also only handle very young or new snakes in or over the terrarium at first, or at least until we are more experienced in handling them. Again, a fall there would be into their enclosure and 15 to 30 cm at most.

It is not unusual for your corn snake to stay in hiding all day and only come out at night. They must be left alone while they are digesting their food and should not be handled or bothered during that time. I allow 3 full days for babies. My adults I can usually be handled after 2 days, but then I know them very well. If they are sitting in the warm hide more than usual at that point I usually give them another day. They definitely like to hide when their tummies are full.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
DLena
Little corns are very fast, and they will pee and poop anywhere! When you handle your little one, put down several layers of paper towels or get him his own special towel or blanket that you will use just for him.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #7
Patmart
The other day I was holding my George got his towel on my lap
I didn't notice his tail had gone under the towel
Yes he had a poo and yes it was wet
I always hold my babies on my lap
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-07-2017, 05:18 AM   #8
Snooki
Yes.

New question here.
Today i picked him up to weight him he have some kind of blue eyes.
That because he start to shedding, he should get food tomorrow or saturday.
Should i wait for feeding him until the shedding is finish?
After a Google search it stand many different things..

One other thing.
He weight is 12g. How old could he be?
Petstore say 3 month but he is also just 31cm long.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:19 AM   #9
Snooki
33 cm is the lenght and he is 12g.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #10
DollysMom
Leave him alone when he is in shed. Don't handle or feed. Still provide fresh water. They always need to have a bowl of fresh water, no matter what. There are two times not to handle your snake. One is when they are digesting and the other is when they are in shed.

You can't tell the age from the size. Still, I'm guessing your snake is a couple of months old at most. The majority of corn snakes hatch in the summer so it is most likely he hatched this summer

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google