• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Getting old...

Premature Transmission!

Don't know what happened, but I guess even my PC doesn't enjoy my tart tongue, as at the end of the last sentence above, my entire blurb was transmitted and without even my ability to proofread for errors (thank God it was short and didn't contain any expletives that I sometimes unconsciously type out and have to go back and fix before sending!).

But I'm sure you get the point. You can't please or be liked by everyone and I never try. I DO, however, try to be respectful of my fellow humans unless provoked by one or a group of them at which point, it's GAME ON and freedom of speech (a MAJOR plus in our faulty, sometimes democratic society) means, to me, NO HOLDS BARRED!!

In any event, thank you for letting me ramble. And as Led Zeppelin once said, Ramble On! (Probably the BEST concert I EVER DID SEE, June 7th, 1977, at Madison Square Garden!!! When they took the stage - at over an hour and a half later than scheduled, I actually thought I saw GOD!!!).

In any event, thank you for letting me ramble. And as Led Zeppelin once said, Ramble On! (Probably the BEST concert I EVER DID SEE, June 7th, 1977, at Madison Square Garden!!! When they took the stage - at over an hour and a half later than scheduled, I actually thought I saw GOD!!!).

Well, I guess this now comes full circle about me being old. :grin01:

I saw Led Zeppelin in concert when they were just the warm-up band for Vanilla Fudge. I think that was in Wildwood, New Jersey if I remember correctly.

I saw Led Zeppelin in concert when they were just the warm-up band for Vanilla Fudge. I think that was in Wildwood, New Jersey if I remember correctly.

Wow!! There's not many people left who can make such a claim and I only know two others, who happen to be older cousins who took me with them to see Cream and Gary Puckett & the Union Gap (not simultaneously, of course) at a local high school auditorium in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn where I was born. One of them actually gave me my first album when I was a first-grader, a brand new copy of Iron Butterfly's In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida!!

I really believe we (as part of the baby-boomer generation) were born at one of the best times in mankind's history, as long as we are fortunate enough not to have been killed in Vietnam or as a result of the color of our skin or something stupid like that.

We're too young to have had to deal with what our parents' generation did and in retrospect, EVERYONE is a wuss compared to one of those oldtimers who had to deal with WWII and its effects on humanity and nature (60 million plus killed as a result!). And we're old enough to have seen Zep & many others (my one regret is that I was only 9 when Hendrix downed a barbiturate cocktail and croaked!!) yet we're young enough to have enjoyed the greatest advances in technology EVER, as I transmit these philosophical musings via a Surface Pro 2 that is half-tablet, half-laptop, and has capabilities to be a telephone, an interpreter, a baby-sitter, and too many other things to list!!

Well, thank you for letting me reminisce.

In any event, aging is something everyone has to go through. And there IS a greater realization: I think it's WAY better than the alternative of dying young, though I would have disagreed when I was young enough to be drinking gasoline and pissing vinegar!!

Later On!!!

Wow!! There's not many people left who can make such a claim and I only know two others, who happen to be older cousins who took me with them to see Cream and Gary Puckett & the Union Gap (not simultaneously, of course) at a local high school auditorium in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn where I was born. One of them actually gave me my first album when I was a first-grader, a brand new copy of Iron Butterfly's In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida!!

I really believe we (as part of the baby-boomer generation) were born at one of the best times in mankind's history, as long as we are fortunate enough not to have been killed in Vietnam or as a result of the color of our skin or something stupid like that.

We're too young to have had to deal with what our parents' generation did and in retrospect, EVERYONE is a wuss compared to one of those oldtimers who had to deal with WWII and its effects on humanity and nature (60 million plus killed as a result!). And we're old enough to have seen Zep & many others (my one regret is that I was only 9 when Hendrix downed a barbiturate cocktail and croaked!!) yet we're young enough to have enjoyed the greatest advances in technology EVER, as I transmit these philosophical musings via a Surface Pro 2 that is half-tablet, half-laptop, and has capabilities to be a telephone, an interpreter, a baby-sitter, and too many other things to list!!

Well, thank you for letting me reminisce.

In any event, aging is something everyone has to go through. And there IS a greater realization: I think it's WAY better than the alternative of dying young, though I would have disagreed when I was young enough to be drinking gasoline and pissing vinegar!!

Later On!!!

I have a Korg Kronos 2-88 keyboard, and you have NO idea how I wish I had had something like this when I used to play in a band in my younger days. Keyboards these days are basically full blown keyboards with a keybed for input and audio outputs for translating your finger motions into music. Well, or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Wish I had REALLY learned to play when I was younger. I only played enough to be able to mimic the keyboard parts of the top 40 music the bands I was in played. Now I am trying to learn to be able to turn the music I can think into the sound that my hands can produce on the keyboard. It's pretty much the same as learning to speak as a baby. Same principles apply, except that you are using your fingers to "say" what you want to say, instead of using your mouth as a voice. So it's pretty much all improvisation. But I certainly do fully understand now what the old saying of "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" really means. I have to write down every new chord progression that I stumble on, otherwise the next day I sit down at the keyboard, not a chance I will remember what I was doing yesterday. Heck, I have even found that I can doodle pretty well with my eyes closed now, and in some respects, it's even easier to do than when I am watching what the heck my fingers are up to.

I think one of the most impressive groups I ever personally witnessed was Emerson Lake & Palmer. Of course, as a keyboard player, Keith Emerson was astonishing to watch when he played. He was the incentive for my interest in keyboard synthesizers. I had a mini-Moog many years ago, and coincidentally enough, that was what got me interested in computers too. My mini-Moog went on the fritz and there was no one locally I could take it to to get it repaired. So I talked to the manufacturer and they offered to send me the circuit boards if I was willing to swap them out. So I did, and was surprised that it all worked and fixed the problems. And I though, "Hmm, that was actually easy to do." So that started my interest in audio electronics, and then on to digital electronics and computers.

That was back in 1968 or so. My first computer was an Exidy Sorcerer. I can remember the salesman telling me that I would NEVER, EVER need more than the 32k main RAM that came in that computer. And there was absolutely no need to get the 4mHz Z80 chip instead of the standard 2mHz that came in that unit. When I asked him to demonstrate the computer for me, he turned it on, got the input prompt on the screen, and said "Have fun!" and walked away. Of course, I had no idea what to do, but I bought it anyway. Found out that at that time, really the only thing you could do was to learn to program using BASIC, so that's what I did.

I think one of the most impressive groups I ever personally witnessed was Emerson Lake & Palmer. Of course, as a keyboard player, Keith Emerson was astonishing to watch when he played. He was the incentive for my interest in keyboard synthesizers. . . . . . . . . Found out that at that time, really the only thing you could do was to learn to program using BASIC, so that's what I did.

ELP was a little too "heady" for most to appreciate how classic their music really was. I saw them at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan though the exact year eludes the synapses which may be toasted in that particular filing section of what is left of my brain, but it was over 15 years ago for sure but also past their original glory days, so maybe it was a reunion tour or something(?). But Keith was in top form and I could never forget him pulling the entire keyboard down on top of himself and as he lay there under that hunk of machinery and keyboards, just kept pounding away at the keys like he was fighting them! At one point, I remember him driving like four or five long knives right through the keys as he played up and around them without missing a note during a wicked part of Karn Evil 9!!! The fact that I had second row seats made EVERYTHING just TOO REAL also, but I had stopped doing LSD by that time or I just might still BE AT THAT SHOW RIGHT NOW!! LOL!!!

That's what I'm talking about in reference to "getting old." We might be circling the drain a little quicker than most those younger than us, but who has seen the stuff we have and lived to tell about it?

Too bad Keith was unable to deal with his older years in a similar fashion, huh? That sometimes makes me sad, but I don't judge and who knows? I may do the same thing were I in his shoes, though I'd like to think I wouldn't.

And you might have me by a few years dude, but I remember BASIC, because I owned a PET!!! Might not be as old as that device you mentioned, but either one when switched on would probably boot up to the same blinking cursor(actually, you PROBABLY had one of the first personal PC's, but the PET ONLY operated in BASIC - Beginner's All-Purpose Instruction Code, if I remember correctly - see, some of my synapses are OK though I can't for the life of me figure how or why!).

Ahh . . these strolls down memory lane make me wanna throw on some Floyd and light up a doob!! Those were the days, huh? :grin01:

Make America Great Again!!!

So I guess that means none of you are Trump supporters...

OUCH!

I guess even Stevie Wonder coulda seen that!

I guess I subscribe to the notion that ANYONE would be netter than Hillary (I'm sure you read my rant which, like some others I compose on OTHER forums, just eventually MIGHT get me to be under surveillance by the Secret Service! Ha Ha!!)!!

:roflmao:

However, I'm not that naïve to think that anyone with reality-TV tactics is likely to pull anything off which requires uniting, rather than alienating people. But HELL, at MY age, and in line with this thread, I don't mind someone inciting war and violence in the world because I'm too freakin old to haveta fight in any wars that start and I really AM becoming sort of a misanthrope with the state of affairs created by these politicians, ESPECIALLY OSAMA OBAMA AND HILLARY CLINTON!!

HELL! Let's FLATTEN ALL OF THOSE COMMIE GOOK COUNTRIES THAT WE WERE TOO WUSSY to flatten as a result of the Peace and Love Hippie Dippie Flower Power generation days and LETS NUKE ISIS and ANY OF ITS SUPPORTERS, INCLUDING PUTIN and any of HIS puppets!

:madeuce: :twoguns: :uzi: :angry01: :crazy02:

So to answer your question, Yes! I DO wanna Make America Great Again!

:blowup:

And you might have me by a few years dude, but I remember BASIC, because I owned a PET!!! Might not be as old as that device you mentioned, but either one when switched on would probably boot up to the same blinking cursor(actually, you PROBABLY had one of the first personal PC's, but the PET ONLY operated in BASIC - Beginner's All-Purpose Instruction Code, if I remember correctly - see, some of my synapses are OK though I can't for the life of me figure how or why!).

Ahh . . these strolls down memory lane make me wanna throw on some Floyd and light up a doob!! Those were the days, huh? :grin01:

Actually, the Exidy Sorcerer booted into the operating system CP/M. Remember that one? That was pre-Microsoft DOS.

Basic had to be loaded as a program. Via audio tape, no less. I used to tie into "The Source" in Virginia with a 300 baud modem. Those were the good old days when you could actually read the text as it scrolled across the screen in real time. Then I went to a 1200 baud modem, and it's never been the same since.

I think I still have a couple of boxes of REAL floppy disks. The 8 inch variety. :roflmao:

Now I look at these little 64 gb microSD cards the size of a fingernail and you have to wonder what things will be like 20 years from now. Who would have ever thought 20 years ago that we would be watching satellite weather features in nearly real time and using Google Earth to virtually drive down nearly any road you want to as well as fly over spots you will certainly never visit in real life. And who ever would have thought that nearly every living human being would wind up with having a cell phone virtually grafted to their head? Back in my day, you used to tell when someone was crazy and talking to themselves. Or someone was drunk while driving down the road. Now, it's a good chance they are on a cell phone. Go figure...

Speaking of Pink Floyd, a long while back Connie and I were living in a townhouse, and are neighbors were playing their TV or stereo pretty loud at 3am. So I got pissed. I turned my own speakers to face the wall between them and us, and cranked up Dark Side of the Moon so the hearbeat pretty nearly cracked the drywall. I thought I heard someone screaming over there, but the sure as heck shut down their own noise after that. ;)

Speaking of Pink Floyd, a long while back Connie and I were living in a townhouse, and are neighbors were playing their TV or stereo pretty loud at 3am. So I got pissed. I turned my own speakers to face the wall between them and us, and cranked up Dark Side of the Moon so the hearbeat pretty nearly cracked the drywall. I thought I heard someone screaming over there, but the sure as heck shut down their own noise after that. ;)

Just hadda cruel thought: if you had Ummagumma you could have played "Careful With That Axe Eugene!" but that might've resulted in a call to 911 from SOMEONE! (Dammit I've just GOTTA have a mean streak in me to even THINK of something like THAT! Is that a part of getting old also?)

1st Time I'm Happy The Limeys Won!!

I'm GLAD they were acquitted (even though it's hard to believe there was a case in the first place)!

Also sad that most young'uns don't even know what the fuss was about! (Probably because almost EVERYTHING nowadays is sampled!).

OK. Now I feel old also!

Is membership to this club still open? :crazy02:

BTW

Did you also see or remember seeing Spirit with Vanilla Fudge?

(Most folks would thinks that's a strange question). :eek1:

Back